DSLR+Lens for nightclub photography

czr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone.
I want to buy a dslr camera, mostly for nightclub photography.
Since it will be my first dslr camera I would appreciate your help.:blushing:

The budget is around 1000$.

I am thinking of this body: Nikon D5100 along with one of those lens:
Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens or Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens . (which one?)

What do you think?
Will this be ok for nightclub photography?
Am I going to need to buy an external flash?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Definately going to need a flash unless you are planning to buy a 5dmkII and a 50mm 1.0. Good news there is a F1.0 on Ebay for 6,000.00. Sorry, Im not a nikon guy so I can't comment on your pick.

Not sure where you are in the country but I would rent it out before buying specially if all you are going to do is low light shooting. Hopefully others that have the camera will chime in on how it does. Believe the D7000 is suppose to do well in low light.
-
Shoot well, Joe

The D5100 is a damn good camera for its class. Probably the best ISO performance on any crop camera. But that being said, Ryan L is right, as fast as the glass you selected is, you still need a flash.

I think you will need a wider angle lens than the 50mm, clubs are cramped full of people and when its packed your going to want to sit back on something like 16mm to get everyone one in the shot etc.

czr said:
Hello everyone.

Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens or Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens . (which one?)

What do you think?

I started my career as a concert photographer in a night club with a Canon T-50 and a Vivitar Flash and made enough to step up to the AE1-Program then A2e and the 30D - follow the advice of the others.
Find your niche and comfort level and - trial and error will be your teacher...you can always delete them before the customer knows the image wasn't up to par.
Canon 60d or 5d mark will work well with a quality lens. The lens you chose will make the difference.

I think you will need a wider angle lens than the 50mm, clubs are cramped full of people and when its packed your going to want to sit back on something like 16mm to get everyone one in the shot etc.

So what do you suggest?

So what do you suggest?
Perhaps look at the 18-105mm? the 24-70mm f/2.8L lens - You might get by with the 35mm as long as it doesnt get to packed i suppose

Hello everyone.

What do you think?

One Q at a time -
50 vs 35 - for a newbee = NEITHER! B/c shooting wide takes practice, experience and UNDERSTANDING "why shooting at wide (wider then f/4) apertures)
Kit lenses such as 18-55, 18-105 would be sufficient for the job
YES to external flash

Shooting program mode w/ flash in ttl - chances are at iso 800 even if its pitch black camera will set you to 1/60 at f5 to 5.6. Adding flash that'll read the scene (hopefully correctly) will be ENOUGH for more job.

If you haven't done so, DO some reading on different metering modes, focus modes, how they influence exposure, etc.

Good Luck

I suggest getting a decent body with good noise reduction. You will want a wide lens, the 24-70 2.8 will not be in your budget. I would think the 18-105 will be. The 24-70 would be nice, but since flash is a must I would shy away from shooting wide open anyway. You will want some depth in your shots with people dancing. The 50mm 1.8 will be of little use.

So at 50mm, shooting at 8' away at an aperture of 1.8 your focus will basically only capture 4" in from and 4" in back of your focus point:
Subject distance
8 ft
Depth of field
Near limit
7.74 ft
Far limit
8.28 ft
Total
0.55 ft
In front of subject
0.26 ft (48%)
Behind subject
0.28 ft (52%)
Hyperfocal distance
230.3 ft
Circle of confusion
0.02 mm

Where as shooting at 18mm at 8' on f5.6 will give you almost 4' in front and 43.7' behind your focus point:
Subject distance
8 ft
Depth of field
Near limit
4.34 ft
Far limit
51.7 ft
Total
47.3 ft
In front of subject
3.7 ft (8%)
Behind subject
43.7 ft (92%)
Hyperfocal distance
9.45 ft
Circle of confusion
0.02 mm

I am not telling you to substitute good focus with a larger aperture to compensate, merely that you will be happier with your shots to have, say one person dancing, and their partner behind them in focus as well.

You can get the SB600 for about 225-250 used. I think you are going to want a better flash than the 400.

Yes 600 the lowest. Looks like you could find a SB700 for around that range as well. Heres one that was just posted tonight on one of the craigslists near me. Nikon SB-700 flash thats only 230.00.

Most reactions

Back