DSLR Rant

Well thank you. To my mind, a person who gets very upset about trivia, and regularly occurring trivia at that, needs a good long vacation.

I have taken snaps for donkey's years. Well not actually snaps, but I paint with light.

I have had a lot of different cameras and phones. Now I have one phone which only does phone call. I expect you might call that roughing it.

I have three cameras An XS10, Panasonic FX77, both compacts, and a bottom end DSLR, nikon D300. All these fit in a tiny carry case, with a 35mm lens for the Nikon. I also have a good tripod, and that is it.

A point I am making, is that between them, I can accomplish a great deal, and each have features which are unavailable in the other cameras, within the trio, for example, on the exilim I can fix ISO at 50, on the panasonic, I have24 mm. Lens, and of course zoom on both. With the nikon, maybe I can be Picasso, who knows?

Please don't under-rate tiny components in a camera, which can be superior in some situation. A DSLR is inferior in terms of mirror shake and a big mass shutter. You need a couple of bricks in your bag.

Even at 1.5 pounds for camera and lens, I do like to point and shoot with the lump, so Why would that be?
Well I set it up with the ael/afl button doing exposure, and the half shutter doing focus. On Centre point. So first, I expose for anywhere I want, then focus anywhere I want, then frame anywhere I want. I deal with spread and hole in "p" mode. When I fully press the shutter, the camera prevents me making a fool of myself, by taking full control of ISO.

All this is sit sit da, like morse code, very fast, with 4 repositioning sat least, but you may not know, by casual observation. Otherwise, auto isn't bad, just common, and observable in a pic.

Because of the speed at this can be operated, to my mind, it falls in the ballpark of point and shoot. And it definitely does in terms of photo intention.

I hope you all may take your snaps in peace.
Ps. Sorry for the spelling errors, but you know.

If anyone want the complete camera settings and lowdown, let me know.

Last edited:
No, what other buy with their money doesn't bother me... Unless they are buying politicians. That bothers me.

How many drive in the passing lane, just under the speed-limit, totally ignoring the rest of the traffic streaming past them on the right side?
This annoys the hell out of me, lol! It's actually illegal in Texas to drive in the left lane of a multiple lane highway, except to pass and to make a left turn - though I don't know how strictly it's enforced. It's a $200 fine though, for impeding the flow of traffic by continuing to drive in the left lane (after passing someone).

Usually it's the State Police that enforce that one and they use it as a reason to pull you over for something else... Personally I wish they'd enforce the Hell out of it to get all the slow people out of my way.

Last edited:
Does anyone else get bothered by the amount of people who use DSLRs? I work in NYC, so I see tourists all day and I have to say it does annoy me to see 100 people a day using a 5D or high end camera to take a picture of themselves in front of a park bench.

Life is too short to worry about what other people do.

I cannot begin to conjure up a rational reason for allowing something like that to upset me.

I can honestly say I never think about it.

Ever.

Someone please kill this thread. Please?

arme02.gif

Does anyone else get bothered by the amount of people who use DSLRs? I work in NYC, so I see tourists all day and I have to say it does annoy me to see 100 people a day using a 5D or high end camera to take a picture of themselves in front of a park bench. I understand from a business point of view this all works in favor to companies like cannon and nikon, etc to have people buying their cameras, but I just want to ask these people "why?" Especially nowadays when cell phone cameras are plenty good for most of those people who are just walking around, not to mention a huge amount of point and shoots that are small and high quality images. What's the obsession with everyone trying to look "pro" with a dslr and a lens hood? Who needs a D4 to take pictures of a soccer game of 6 year olds? I just don't see the logic and I find it to be annoying.

Just wanted to rant. Anyone else agree?

Hi, mamboitaliano. I work in NYC, too. In Midtown where there are plenty of tourist attractions -- Grand Central, Times Square, NYPL, Rockefeller, to name a few, so I encounter a lot of what you mention.

In my case, however, it's more of curiosity than annoyance. Because I get a feel for what people (the world, really) are using. For example, I remember seeing a mom carrying a Nikon D3100 with children in tow, and somehow the image stuck. I thought she's kind of like a mom balancing not just her attention between her children and her photography passion but her budget as well again between her children and her photography passion.

I often see (often younger people) using pop-up flash to shoot at skyscrapers. Initially I thought it was funny but they are so many it quickly wore off.

Being in the minority as a Sony shooter, I tend to pay a little more attention whenever I see someone carrying a Pentax, Olympus, Sony, or some other make not Nikon or Canon. I try to see if I have anything in common with them. Most likely none. So I don't do it for long. Like I said, it's just a passing curiosity. And as a fellow New Yorker you might agree -- who has time for that? If there's an image that would characterize a New Yorker well, it would probably be that of someone looking down on his or her wristwatch mouthing the word, "f---!".

Does anyone else get bothered by the amount of people who use DSLRs? I work in NYC, so I see tourists all day and I have to say it does annoy me to see 100 people a day using a 5D or high end camera to take a picture of themselves in front of a park bench. I understand from a business point of view this all works in favor to companies like cannon and nikon, etc to have people buying their cameras, but I just want to ask these people "why?" Especially nowadays when cell phone cameras are plenty good for most of those people who are just walking around, not to mention a huge amount of point and shoots that are small and high quality images. What's the obsession with everyone trying to look "pro" with a dslr and a lens hood? Who needs a D4 to take pictures of a soccer game of 6 year olds? I just don't see the logic and I find it to be annoying.

Just wanted to rant. Anyone else agree?

Hi, mamboitaliano. I work in NYC, too. In Midtown where there are plenty of tourist attractions -- Grand Central, Times Square, NYPL, Rockefeller, to name a few, so I encounter a lot of what you mention.

In my case, however, it's more of curiosity than annoyance. Because I get a feel for what people (the world, really) are using. For example, I remember seeing a mom carrying a Nikon D3100 with children in tow, and somehow the image stuck. I thought she's kind of like a mom balancing not just her attention between her children and her photography passion but her budget as well again between her children and her photography passion.

I often see (often younger people) using pop-up flash to shoot at skyscrapers. Initially I thought it was funny but they are so many it quickly wore off.

Being in the minority as a Sony shooter, I tend to pay a little more attention whenever I see someone carrying a Pentax, Olympus, Sony, or some other make not Nikon or Canon. I try to see if I have anything in common with them. Most likely none. So I don't do it for long. Like I said, it's just a passing curiosity. And as a fellow New Yorker you might agree -- who has time for that? If there's an image that would characterize a New Yorker well, it would probably be that of someone looking down on his or her wristwatch mouthing the word, "f---!".

Haha- I do the same thing when I see someone shooting with non-Canikon gear (I use Pentax)- I find myself musing over how that person came to a decision to go against the flow...

I don't think they are trying to act like pros or anything. They probably simply think that it will give them better pictures (which is not necessarily true). I'm a random kid, and I use a cheap dslr because I like having the flexibility (with lenses and etc...).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back