DSLR Rant

mamboitaliano

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone else get bothered by the amount of people who use DSLRs? I work in NYC, so I see tourists all day and I have to say it does annoy me to see 100 people a day using a 5D or high end camera to take a picture of themselves in front of a park bench. I understand from a business point of view this all works in favor to companies like cannon and nikon, etc to have people buying their cameras, but I just want to ask these people "why?" Especially nowadays when cell phone cameras are plenty good for most of those people who are just walking around, not to mention a huge amount of point and shoots that are small and high quality images. What's the obsession with everyone trying to look "pro" with a dslr and a lens hood? Who needs a D4 to take pictures of a soccer game of 6 year olds? I just don't see the logic and I find it to be annoying.

Just wanted to rant. Anyone else agree?

Nope, doesn't bother me at all. Personally I'd rather see them using a DSLR since:

1) It indicates at least some minor level of interest in photography as opposed to just using a cell phone.

2) As long as people keep buying them the manufacturers will keep making and improving them.

I kinda like to see people with more money than sense (or photography ability) shooting with DSLRs on auto.

Why?

Because it means that in about a year's time, I can get a really good deal on a very slightly used camera… :D

People like toys. I know lots of folks that have high performance automobiles that aren't professional drivers... Should we be mad at them too?

Are you a professional photographer? If not, do you really NEED the Nikon D90, or could you have made due with a P&S?

If you're going to get mad at folks with DSLRs, get mad at the ones that believe their purchase automagically turned them into a perfeshanul fauxtograffer. Those folks piss me off.

Well, you see, Me....... well I'm a fotograffer. | Photography Forum

Last edited:
Yeah its like those people that take a 7D and a big 300mm f2.8 to the zoo just to take pics of the animals! I mean you don't need any of that when there are perfectly good point and shoots on the market that can do just as much if not more zoom! It's just purely overkill - I mean sure some of them might have some semblance of skill - they might know a little what they are doing (even if they don't look it) but yeah most won't have a clue!

Thankfully I don't think like that soooo I keep taking my 7D and 120-300mm f2.8 to the zoo - sometimes I get a good shot:
14970689218_bff6dd705f_c.jpg

9394206385_cdf93f3954_c.jpg

Leave each person to enjoy his or her hobby as they wish and are capable within their financial constraints. It's not for us to say that what they use is "too good for them" or "that they are just not good enough" because to say so is only to stroke our own ego as we stand there all self proud that "we are good enough to dismiss others" attitude.

Most who adopt that mentality are, in my experiences and view, often those with intermediate skill, good enough to do better than average but not outstanding. Often with a good amount of self criticism and thus looking for cheap way to boost their own ego by downplaying others.

So, I recently bought a little point and shoot Nikon so that I wouldn't have to carry my big camera around. I've used it a few times. Sometimes I am glad it is there.......but almost always I find myself wishing that I had my DSLR with me instead. In the middle of a bunch of snap-shots, sometimes there is the opportunity to get a great memory of my kids or of something completely unexpected.

So, yeah....I'm guilty.

You know what else annoys me? People who drink $100 bottles of wine. I mean COME ON, a $5 bottle gets just just as drunk, just as fast and you're just gonna pee it out anyways. Not just ANYONE has the acquired taste to truly appreciate a fine wine. Me? I won't touch the stuff, I just take pictures of the bottle with my too expensive for my talent level hipster camera.

Well, I'm one of those with a 5D and big white lens, so I won't complain about those people. The ones that annoy me are the ones with little cameras that jump in front of me because they have short lenses and want to get right up to the subject.

BTW, you can spend as much on a special version of the Leica M9 as on a good medium format camera, and the regular M9 costs as much, or more than a 1Dx or D4! They are heavy, and the glass is usually expensive too.

Just 'cause it's smaller, doesn't mean it's inexpensive.

Man, I can't stand those @$$h0le tourists that show up at DisneyWorld with their pro bodies and L lenses just to take snapshots of their kids. What douchebags. :rolleyes:

One can always just enjoy being smug about people who've spent much more than they needed to on photo equipment, cars, wine, coffee, or all of the above.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back