Dumb mistakes I have made

I think I got all this beat... I heard fire trucks go by my house so I grabbed the gear got in the car and followed. Got to the scene of the fire, It was huge lots of good shots to be had. Grabbed the tripod and the camera bag. Set up the tripod quickly opened the camera bag and realized The camera was still sitting on the table where I was cleaning it the night before. So I drove home got it and went back... THe fire was mostly out and I got nothing worthwhile...

Set a high exposure on an old compact digital during some night shots, dropped camera next day, was a bit beaten but still turned on.... used it on hols a couple of days later and pictures were pure white... I assumed it was damaged from the dropping.....took me about half a day to figure out I'd left exposure up high!

To quote the Editor's Comments section of a recent issue of my favorite photography magazine, Lenswork, in which the Editor gives a list suggestions for photographers to go by when going out shooting with friends:

"#1.) First and most importantly, before you leave the house and drive 800 miles on dirt roads, be sure to pack the groundglass back of the 8x10 camera. Do not assume the ohter guy has done so. It is not the best plan to discover your mistake when setting up the camera for the week's first exposure."

:lol:

Shooting a wedding and after moving inside didn't change the shutter speed back to synch speed for flash on an old Pentax. Had trouble trying to convince bride/groom that night was approaching in half the shots. :)

bought some fuji color 800 speed film

shot both rolls

then before we went to yellowstone my mom bought me 4 rolls of kodak color 200 speed

shot 3 of the 4 rolls in yellowstone without changing my iso...now i have to get the lab to develop it..

Some recent dumb mistakes...

Walked (struggled would be a better description) a mile into a swamp to catch the sunset, only to realize I left my tripod's quick release plate at home.

Tried to dust off my DSLR sensor with a brush that I thought was clean (I washed it like 10 times), and left smears. Oh well, got some Pec Pads on the way.

Well, I haven't posted in this thread yet...
I have a really funny one...

When I was out and about the other day I was having trouble with my old Canon Rebel, everyonce in a while I would see a black speck inside my viewfinder... so I check the lens. All clear. Then I took the lens off, looked inside... all clear, not a spot anywhere. so I just ignored it, put the lens back on and started shooting more.
It happened again, that little black spot... only this time I saw it moving... :confused:

I took the lens off once more to find a fruit fly had gotten in my camera somehow... :lmao:
I'm surprised it didn't die when the mirror slapped up. :lmao:

My first opportunity to get some shots in a magazine came up about 3 years ago and had an old nikon film slr and bought plenty of film with me. I was very used to the camera but on this occasion forgot the rear door had been changed (due to a tiny piece of plastic coming off) and it showed a bright yellow indicator when the film was loaded properly only the old door wasn't quite the same. I've taken a few shots on the film and thought, is this loaded properly? I risked it in bright day light and opened the door to find it was in fine! bye bye film!

oh and not too long before that happened I wondered why my camera wasn't working - i had knocked the aperture ring on the lens so it wasn't locked on 22! took a good hour to figure that one out

i don't know if this counts but in italy a couple of years ago i managed to take photos that were out of focus (with an AF camera) after having a few beers...

I have done this a couple times and it pisses me off everytime...

I think the film has been wound and camera is empty so I pop open the back to see the film staring back at me and a loud F&#@ coming from my mouth. One time it was a roll of film from my wife's first time doing urban night shots. I had a lab develope the film and blamed it on the photo lab.

Dan said:
Formatting my CF and losing 80+ pictures.

I made sort of the opposite mistake. near the end of a wedding ceremony my CF filled up, so I grabbed another out of the bag, put it in, and started shooting again. 6 pics later it was full too. I forgot to format it, and it still was full of old pics.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back