dumb question but can anyone help me with this?

dodododo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i am VERY VERY new to photography. i’m very interested in glamour/fashion photography however all the resources i find point me to more of a wedding style of photography. can anyone give me any kind of clue how to achieve this kind of style?
{mod edit - images removed]
all pictures are by nadia lee cohen. i know this question is dumb but please be nice as i literally don’t know anything. even if someone could just point me in the right direction as to resources i could look at?

Last edited by a moderator:
No guys forreal i’m just dumb and don’t know who/what to ask lol i like pictures like that and i don’t know how to get result
edit: would it be more believable if i hadn’t listed the photographer and just started off by saying i’m dumb and don’t know what i’m doing!!!

Well, not to be boring and counterproductive.

Except last photo, which breaks away from the dolly line.

Doll looking photos are more or less easy to create - long focal range lens (to make person look a bit small), shooting from a little above, powerful strobes with color filters to simulate movie lightning and balance ambient light, plastic-looking makeup, shutter speeds shorter than 1/100s, tons of photoshop to smear face and skin patterns. It sounds hard, but it's not problem at any point.

Well, not to be boring and counterproductive.

Except last photo, which breaks away from the dolly line.

Doll looking photos are more or less easy to create - long focal range lens (to make person look a bit small), shooting from a little above, powerful strobes with color filters to simulate movie lightning and balance ambient light, plastic-looking makeup, shutter speeds shorter than 1/100s, tons of photoshop to smear face and skin patterns. It sounds hard, but it's not problem at any point.

thank u for kind and thoughtful response this is just what i was looking for. thank you again!!

Just keep taking pictures and one day you may reach the standard you are looking for.....Good luck........:)

Just keep taking pictures and one day you may reach the standard you are looking for.....Good luck........:)

thank you i will try! it’s mostly for personal use so hopefully my lack of professional talent won’t hurt me that much. LOL, thank you guys!!

Note - please don't upload and embed photos that you don't own to the forums, please respect the copyright of the photographer and instead link to the original sources for the photos to show them.

Notice to other members - please respect the creative choices of others. You might not like a particular style of photography; or even consider its methodology simplistic; but that doesn't give you the right to insult others for their creative choices or lack of understanding.

Far better to show them how to emulate and find the tools to allow them to emulate that kind of work and let htem build from there to develop their own style of photography.

Nadia Lee Cohen took a page from Cindy Sherman's work, and has re-written and expanded and improved upon it and has taken that page and turned it into a book. In my opinion, she's fantastic at what she does! Lots of bare breasts, underwear and lingerie, iconic symbols (like Coca~Cola products for example), melodrama, self-centered narcissism, etc.. Great art for the twenty-first century.

here's a bit written about her back in 2012:

"Nadia Lee Cohen is a 22-year-old London-based photographer currently going for a BA in photography at the London College of Fashion. Eye-popping and delightful, Cohen’s photographs channel motifs of Americana and Britain from the 1950s, 60s and 70s; melodramatic hair and make-up, saturated colors, and the characters to fit. She is a master of setting the scene, styling her subjects and incorporating her own props which she spends plenty of time collecting.

This year, Cohen was selected for the Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize exhibition. Her photograph, American Nightmare, is on display at the National Portrait Gallery through February 8, 2013
."

If you wanna shoot like that, I'd say take one photo, just one, like say pippa.jpg, the woman on the couch with a slice of pizza, and re-create it. Copy it. Take every single segment of the picture, analyze it, then build the set, prop it, and shoot it. Copy a few of her shots, to get a feel for what it takes. Those sets are either very plain and simple--like the red backdrop and stool set, which could be created for $120 with the roll of red seamless backdrop paper and a tall barstool--or the sets are somewhat complex.

NSFW link to Nadia Lee Cohen's website: Home

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back