Dusk, the meeting place of day and night

I think it is a little easier on the eyes that way. My crop takes away some of the dark mass of the tree on the right, but the remainder is balanced with the shrub on the left.

Ok, I see what you're thinking. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm by there and the weather conditions cooperate.

Nicely captured!

Wanna buy a snow-shovel? One owner, low miles... used only in Victoria, mostly to shovel alder leaves off of my driveway! :D

I think after the rain you're forecast to have over the next three or four days, you'll be almost ready to ask for snow... :p

I have to say I like the original in this one. To me, the bench is a strong element that needs some space. The bench balances against the big tree on the right side, which also adds more depth to the scene.

The benches, lampposts, and trash receptacle are the smallest individual items in this shot. There is no way that one little bench can balance the weight of a huge dark mass opposite, and it won't "add depth" either.

The benches, lampposts, and trash receptacle are the smallest individual items in this shot. There is no way that one little bench can balance the weight of a huge dark mass opposite, and it won't "add depth" either.

I wasn't clear - it was the tree on the right that I felt added depth. As for balance, size is not the only consideration. A smaller object can balance a larger one if it has a stronger impact on the viewer. At least for me, the bench did. I suppose we all react differently to these things and so each of us has different preferences.

So, dropped off my wife at the cultural center, and scooted to the back to re-take the image we discussed. It's morning, not evening, so the blue colour of dusk is not here, but I decided to give it a try anyways. And we have... two of everything. Two cottonwoods, two benches, two lamp-posts. Except for the trash can. But I didn't feel like photoshopping it out. May still have to come back in the eveneing.

two of each.JPG

Most reactions

New Topics

Back