Dusk, the meeting place of day and night

pgriz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Another shot from the grounds of Stewart Hall Cultural Center, looking out onto Lake St-Louis. The trees you see are giant cotton-woods - trees that love water and are often found at the edge of rivers and lakes. At the time of the shot, the sun has already set, and the lights have just turned on - marking the start of the twilight, but yet with enough light to show most of the scene. The blueish colour is pretty much as it was. The second snow-fall of the past two weeks is still on the ground, although there wasn't so much as to cover the grass completely. I took this shot just before leaving for home - there was a very pleasing stillness.

Dusk at Stewart Hall_cropped.JPG

You can almost here the quiet

You can almost here the quiet
Thank you Ed. Yes that is why I was inspired to take this shot - the quiet, and the blue accent of the rapidly fading day.

Looks very cold! I think I shivered!
It WAS cold. Fortunately, cold with no wind is quite easy to deal with. Cold with wind is much less pleasant.

I smell a fireplace! I miss snow
Thank you Stormchase. Yes, in years past, you would smell many a fireplace. But these contributed to a rather unpleasant smog in winter under calm conditions, and there is a strong push to eliminate wood-burning chimneys and stoves from the area - at least the old, inefficient ones that produce much smoke and little heat. And if you miss the snow, come on up. We can always use another body for the snow-shovelling brigade.;)

This is beautiful! I love that color!

Glad I'm indoors drinking hot coffee as I look at this ...

Nicely captured!

Wanna buy a snow-shovel? One owner, low miles... used only in Victoria, mostly to shovel alder leaves off of my driveway! :D

Snow shovel? oh my dog is sick .. i mean i have a flat tire haha.

I've been trying to imagine a different crop for this. I absolutely love the wide width, but to me, the trees are just not in very good balance. So do you think you could go there again and try some different frames?

Please?

Same blue light, of course.

I've been trying to imagine a different crop for this. I absolutely love the wide width, but to me, the trees are just not in very good balance. So do you think you could go there again and try some different frames?

Please?

Same blue light, of course.

Sure thing. What would you like to see? Mind you, that image was shot with the 10-22mm at 10mm, I was 20' up a slope, and the trees were another 50-70 feet above me, so getting them all in would have required some stitching. But I am game to explore your suggestion or three. Might have to hustle, though, as tomorrow it's supposed to snow then change to ice pellets, and then to freezing rain over the next 48 hours or so. And then back to very cold temperatures.

Maybe something like this:

Dusk at Stewart Hall_cropped - Version 2.jpg

So you're seeing the two lamp-posts rimming the two cotton-woods?

I think it is a little easier on the eyes that way. My crop takes away some of the dark mass of the tree on the right, but the remainder is balanced with the shrub on the left.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back