Dust in the lens/camera???

DScience

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a very basic question. I just recently purchased a Nikon D60, along with a 18-55 VR lens and a 55-200 VR lens. The directions for putting the lens on says something like "take extra care not to let dust get in when taking off the lens or putting one one".

So i'm curious to know what kind of precautions people use when changing lenses??

Thank you!

Ok, I use this way for the field only, If I'm at home I prefer to put one lens down on the table. But have a look at this. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiWctOW5p6A]YouTube - Technique to quickly change Digital SLR Camera lenses[/ame]

I make sure the body's lens mount is facing downward, and change the lenses quickly. There's really not much else you can do.

Pick up a Giottos Rocket Air Blower. It's great for when dust does get into the body or on the lens elements, both of which are inevitable.

Don't change lenses in a dust storm. ;)

The problems arise when you get dust on your image sensor...it will cause blobs on your photos. It's inevitable that you will eventually get some dust on there and your camera's sensor will need to be cleaned from time to time...it's just par for the course when you own a DSLR. It's not hard to do yourself, when you have the right tools.

Thanks for the reply's everyone! That makes sense. I've been doing it very carefully, and I have been keeping the 'openings' pointed downward, so hopefully that is enough.

Maybe a little off topic, but while we are talking about switching lenses, I've heard (read??) that you need to turn your camera off before removing your lens. Does anyone know what would happen if you forgot (I'm the kind of person who will one day "forget"). Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back