Dust removal

psyclop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It seem I have some dust on the cmos sensor, My camera is a Pentax kx.
The dust alert show me some dirt ok, then I've use dust removal, the only thing it does when I reuse dust alert is showing the dust at different place on the sensor.
How good is dust removal, do you do it often ? also what kind of product do you use to clean the dust manualy (I have a product given to me by a scanner tech from canon, is it good for the sensor ?
Or If I keep doing the dust removal, by turning the camera on & off will it work or if after doing a couple time did not do it, I would have to clean the sensor manualy.:grumpy::confused:

Here is how I clean mine. First put the camera in cleaning mode (lens off, mirror up and shutter open) and gently blow air into the camera while facing down. Check if it worked. If not then return to cleaning mode and use a fine bristle brush to GENTLY brush the sensor, blow ait again and test. If there is still some stubborn stuff in there then I use a pec-pad wrapped on a swab ( or a piece of stiff plastic or a tongue depressor cut to the correct size) moistened with methanol. One swipe, turn the swab, another swipe and test. Continue until all trace of impurity is one from the sensor.

There are quite a few threads on various forums dealing with this topic as well as a number of internet sites.

To expand on what Patrice has posted... Contrary to popular belief, cleaning your own sensor is easy, and difficult to screw up. You should have a few tools though. My preference is for the VisibleDust line of products, in particular the Arctic Butterfly; it's a little pricey, but worth it.

Get a Giottos rocket, DO NOT use one of those cheap blower bulbs with a built in brush. They're dust/lint traps. Remove the lens, and holding hte camera at a 45 angle with the lens opening pointing down, thoroughly blow out the mirror chamber. Now, lock up the mirror and clean off the sensor. Once you've blown off the "big chunks" use the Arctic Butterfly to clean off the small stuff following the instructions provided.

If that doesn't work, then you'll need to go to a wet cleaning system, which is a still easy to do. In ten years of digital photography, I've never had to use a wet cleaning system on any sensor.

Remember that you're not actually cleaning the sensor, you're cleaning the low-pass filter in front of the sensor which is usually made of mineral glass or other very tough material. It's actually quite difficult to scratch or damage. It is easy to get streaky if you **** up with a wet-cleaning system, but that's not permanent.

Seems easy enough, my only problem is that I live in Quebec Canada, good stuff is hard to find out here.
See we have a stupid governement that wont let product being sold if they dont have everything written in french.
I think a cat hair got into it.
I've found a .....rectal seringe that is as close to the real thing I could find,
I will try that first and see how it goes.

I've found a .....rectal seringe that is as close to the real thing I could find,

And the strangest thing written on the board today award goes to........

RECTAL SYRINGE!!!!!!!!

Thanks, I needed a giggle.

Let us know how that works! Be really careful not to slam the end of the syringe into the sensor when working the plunger. I assume the end is plastic, but even that could do a number on the sensor if you hit it hard enough. I would personally be too afraid to use that tool for the task at hand.

RECTAL SYRINGE!!!!!!!!

Let us know how that works! Be really careful not to slam the end of the syringe into the sensor when working the plunger. I assume the end is plastic, but even that could do a number on the sensor if you hit it hard enough. I would personally be too afraid to use that tool for the task at hand.

You know I was expecting a lot more joke about that
Rectalseringe.jpg

they also come lubrified for those who preferd...:lol:

RECTAL SYRINGE!!!!!!!!

You know I was expecting a lot more joke about that
Rectalseringe.jpg

they also come lubrified for those who preferd...:lol:

:meh:

I see. Not what I was picturing when you said syringe. I expected a needle-less medical looking syringe with a big plastic plunger.

Most reactions

Back