Let me rephrase, the differences between the 20D, 50D and 7D is pretty small, and you seemed to focus on the performance of the 7D and not so much on the 50D.
The differences I would expect to see in sensor performance between 4 generations of bodies would be something like this:
I don't need to show a 5D2 vs. a D3s because that's not what I was talking about. I'm talking about advances made in a product line, not comparing Nikon to Canon (yet again). I fail to see what's "self serving" about this comparison.
I would be interested to know how the 20D out performs the 50D in ISO performance and how that specifically is measured.
***Edit: The D2X wasn't full frame. I always forget that.
Sorry, but you've missed most of my points. The 20D was a BENCHMARK camera, the best of its type and era. Its low-light performance SMOKES the Nikon D2x's low-light high ISO performance. Also, the 20D-30D-40D-50D-7D
isn't really four generations as much as four really rapid "iterations" ; the 20D and 30D shared the same sensor at 8.2MP, the 40D went to 10.2, and the 50D was basically the 40D souped up. Canon iterated at 18-month intervals, as fast as they could; Nikon goes much more slowly, with 4-year intervals between flagship models like D2x to D3x,and the D2x-D3x comparison is again, APS-C vs FF.
My point has been proven by your gracious screen capture--which is not self-serving because somebody other than you, somebody other than YOURSELF, asked you to consider another point of reference. I mentioned the D2x so you could get a comparison about how superb the 20D's sensor was for its time--even compared to a $5,000 professional "flagship" Nikon.
The 7D and the 50D are both pushing the envelope. The 20D topped out at ISO 1600; the 50D and 7D top out at 12,800-which is an EIGHT-fold increase! That is shown in their data. That is an improvement.
Your comparison was chosen by you, yourself, hence the use of the word self-serving,and your conclusion was in direct contradiction with the figures; you said no improvement, but there was some improvement AND huge added new capabilities you failed to mention-resolution, frame rate, Dynamic range, overall scores,and all at the same price.
Do you fail to see how awesome the 20D was in comparison to the Nikon D2x--the 20D smokes the D2x on overall sensor performance score, dynamic range, and low-light-ISO score! The D2x and 20D were contemporaries. As I pointed out, the Canon 20D was a BENCHMARK camera. A benchmark is something by which OTHER things are measured. I do not throw the word benchmark around lightly: the $1700 EOS 20D SMOKED the $5,000 Nikon D2x camera in terms of SENSOR performance. How do I know that???? Well, I OWN both cameras, the 20D and the D2x,and have for several years. I have shot both extensively, at all ISOs,and under all types of lighting. And you know what? The EOS 5D has a better sensor than either of those two cameras.
Rest assured, the D2x's low-light ISO score of 467 is well-deserved; the new EOS 7D is almost TWICE as good. The original 20D, which you selected for the point of initial comparison was, I will say it again, a BENCHMARK camera. Larger pixels than the D2x, lower pixel density, a refined CMOS sensor Canon had been working on for some time. The D2x had a one-off sensor, the only CMOS sensor of its type that Nikon ever used. Your point of initial comparison was a SUPERB product!
You picked one of Canon's finest cameras, the 20D, as a starting point, and concluded that they had made "no improvements", when in fact, Canon has made MAJOR improvements in the 7D's capabilities and the data show the improvements.
As an owner of the 20D and the D2x I will state flat out: the DXO Mark scores for the D2x and the 20D are pretty much reflective of how the cameras SENSOR's perform. I own a 20D and a D2x,and can speak from actual experience as to how relevant and accurate the DXO Mark scores are WRT to those two bodies. I also own the Canon 5D, which I also suggested you do a screen cap of as a comparison, since the 5D is also a true "benchmark" camera.
The 20D was and still is a very capable camera. How come the new 2009 Corvette isn't 75 miles an hour faster than the 2005 model? I'm not sure how much more can be done with pixels of 4.3 micron size and with ISO 6400 and ISO 12,800--can Canon engineers walk on water?
