Just changed from Canon to Pentax

iolair

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I've just changed from Canon to Pentax, and from what some people have said so far, this decision seems to upset some other Canon users quite a bit. There really does seem to be an element in the photography society that believes that only Canon or Nikon are worthwhile.

I was moderately invested in Canon compatible items - to the tune of two bodies (40D and 50D), two EF and two EF-S lenses, and a few accessories (flash triggers, batteries, CF cards). I've also got a number of other items (M42 lenses that I'd been using adapted, the rest of my lighting setup, filters) that would follow me to a new system.

I had the following issues with my current kit that meant I felt the need to change:
- very disappointing high ISO performance giving poor quality results on many indoor shots.
- slightly disappointing rendering of colours and dark details, even working from RAW files
- only single card slots; after a scare with a corrupted card shooting a wedding, I'd decided I wanted any future body to be able to write to two cards at once.
- lack of weatherproofing, meaning under extreme conditions I'd have to quit shooting
- three of my four Canon lenses were in need of an upgrade anyway (50mm f/1.8 has a busy, ugly bokeh. 10-22mm I'd barely used since buying a fisheye on my travel camera (a Pentax Q7) which is far more fun. 80-210mm was a cheapy that was not good enough quality for saleable shots). The extent of the lens drawbacks was such that I was hiring lenses as needed for weddings ... not too bad as I don't (yet) do many. (My fourth canon-mount lens, a Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.0, I was very happy with).

The 7D mk ii looked like it would address three of my four body-related issues; it's weatherproofed, has dual card slots, and ISO 6400 (the limit of where I think I'd need) is pretty decent. However, it appeared no better than earlier models in terms of dynamic range and to an extent colours. It's also very pricey - partly because it's new, and partly because there's a premium for 10 fps shooting, lightning-fast autofocus and high-end video features that I simply don't need. The full-frame image quality and high ISO performance looked better, but the 5D mk iii is out of my price range, and the 6D lacks dual card slots. I'd also still need to change my two EF-S lenses.

I loved the look of the Sony A7, and it felt great to handle ... but *very* expensive lenses, and lack of dual card slots wrote it off. The battery life also sounds pretty dire.

Nikon in theory ticked all the boxes, though prices are high like Canon's (though I would have paid, if it had been the best option) - but, more significantly, I just found the button layout and menus pretty counter-intuitive. While it may just be that some relearning time is required, it felt like any change to settings is unnecessarily long-winded, and delayed the experience of getting on with making images.

Pentax however - great value, incredibly intuitive menus (for my tastes, anyway), good button layout, weather-sealed from mid-range up, dual card slots in the latest K-3, and the same great Sony sensors as found in Sony and Nikon's APS-C cameras. Autofocus is okay - not as good as the best that Nikon and especially Canon have to offer, but I'm not shooting action/sports, so more than adequate for my purposes.

I went into a local shop last weekend to handle a K-3 - however, they didn't have a demonstrator in, and I was disappointed with the feel of the K5-IIs. The switches felt too stiff, the camera didn't feel right in my hand, and somehow the plastic/finish of it just felt rather cheap. Fortunately when, this weekend just gone, I returned and tried a K-3, the experience was different; the camera fit in my hand perfectly, and its ergonomics feel light-years ahead of the K5-IIs and even much nicer than my familiar Canons.

So, I'm a new owner of a Pentax K-3, and my Canon kit is now sat on eBay. I got the kit lens - primarily so I have a weather-resistant option when needed, and it's cheap to buy in the kit. I've also ordered a Pentax-mount copy of the Sigma 17-70mm that I've been so happy with on my Canons. I'll add a couple more good lenses as my Canon stuff sells. I can't comment too much on the K-3's image quality yet, as I've only shot with the kit lens so far, but the body is an absolute joy to use.

please post up things you find as you move along with your pentax.
I'd like to see what all you like/dislike as you shoot more with the new setup

I had Pentax film cameras and lenses and considered going with them for digital, but at least at the time (ca. 2007), I wasn't convinced of their commitment to digital, so I went with Canon. Since Pentax is still around, it would appear I was overly worried about it back then. I hope it works well for you and I don't understand why anyone would be upset about it. Everyone has to figure out what works for them.

If I decide I want a DSLR, it will definitely be a Pentax. I've got plenty of legacy lenses from my K1000 ( :pumpformylove: ) and Spotmatic to use with it and the times I've tried my boyfriend's K-5, it has felt pretty good and I was pleased with the images. He's also just recently gotten a Fuji XE-1, however, and that has really impressed me as well, so the question is which one I'd be more likely to use. Both of us shoot mostly film, so I doubt he'll keep both the K-5 and the Fuji, and of the two, he's much more likely to keep the Fuji. I might end up buying the K-5 from him at some point and have that for a while to decide if I'm a DSLR kind of shooter or not.

Last edited:
Pentax make briliant cameras and from what I heard good lenses but it potentially have one big flaw........but its a personal thing!
Pentax has no FF cameras so buying into Pentax means getting stuck with crop sensor camera, if you are ok with it and dont see yourself ever wanting to go FF then you got yourself a nice camera.
For me it never made sense because I always saw myself at the long run goign to FF (which I did).

Good luck and enjoy your new camera! :)

It looks like you made a well considered change. From the images I've seen the latest Pentax cameras excellent dynamic range & low light performance much better than my older K7 which otherwise has proved a great camera.
IMO Canon's biggest strength is the speed of their AF, so if that's not relevant to you I suspect you'll gain from the change - especially if (like me) you find the Pentax user interface more intuitive.

I like Pentax film gear very much. Recently, though, I bought a second-hand DSLR to see if this was how I wanted to go. Since I wasn't able to get a Pentax for the price I wanted to go up to (just to try), I bought a Canon. I'm happy enough with it, but am not in love: with Canon or DSLRs.

Now, starting to plan my next move, I find myself swinging back to the idea of film and Pentax.

I bought an K50 it is amazing value for money, built in sensor IS , pixel mapping , pentaprysim viewfinder, water resistant.

I dont like the Pentax screw powers lenses at least the 18-55 that comes with the K50 , I have returned 3 and i cannot get a lens that focus sharply, i always seems to be a little out, I tried the lens calibration but i saw zero difference between + or - 10 setting.

Also the exposure system just constantly underexposed bright sunlight photo`s like 50/50 dark and light areas as you might expect, they were just too dark a problem i have found with other brands like Fuji , now Nikon does a much better job of getting the exposure right, it`s not perfect but it`s not fooled so easily, I have not tried Canon dslr`s much so i cannot compare, I am more of an street photographer and need a camera that can react quickly to changes in light intensity.

I don't know how the K3 would perform, it might have a different more accurate exposure sensor than the K50, but it`s still running Pentax software.

Enjoy your new camera.

John

Enjoy your new camera! I'm also approaching the crossroad in a couple of months. I've read that the K3 can move its sensor to prevent star trails with astro photography, using the gps module. I will definitely consider this camera if I decide to stay on the crop sensor.

the exposure system just constantly underexposed bright sunlight photo`s like 50/50 dark and light areas as you might expect, they were just too dark a problem i have found with other brands like Fuji , now Nikon does a much better job of getting the exposure right, it`s not perfect but it`s not fooled so easily, I have not tried Canon dslr`s much so i cannot compare, I am more of an street photographer and need a camera that can react quickly to changes in light intensity.

I don't know how the K3 would perform, it might have a different more accurate exposure sensor than the K50, but it`s still running Pentax software.
Unfortunately I haven't had a lot of time for a lot of shooting so far, but generally the exposure has been bang on. There were a few shots which appeared a little overexposed, in fact - the opposite to your problem. However there were no blown highlights, so it was effectively just 'exposing to the right', which I'm fine with.

I've read that the K3 can move its sensor to prevent star trails with astro photography, using the gps module. I will definitely consider this camera if I decide to stay on the crop sensor.
I've read a little about that (and noticed references to the GPS module in the menus). Apparently (should you so wish) the sensor can shift enough to get night sky exposures of up to 5 minutes with static stars (no trails). That's very impressive, although I doubt I'll ever take advantage of it.

I've read a little about that (and noticed references to the GPS module in the menus). Apparently (should you so wish) the sensor can shift enough to get night sky exposures of up to 5 minutes with static stars (no trails). That's very impressive, although I doubt I'll ever take advantage of it.

If that is true, it could negate getting fast/expensive glass. Would have to check up on that, as I would like to get into some astro photography in the near future.

I bought a Nikon D7100 recently after I decided I wanted a dslr again. The only thing that stopped me buying Pentax was availability here in Ireland. I haven't a problem buying online but nowhere here less than 250km away sell Pentax so I went Nikon. If I lived in an area that had more options it would have been Pentax.

I think from reading about the k3 and having tried a k5 you probably have the best crop dslr on the market. Every lens stabilized for free.

Pentax pro lenses may not be as readily available, but between newer, older and third party I think you'll be able to cover most bases. Enjoy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back