Dz anyone carry 'protection' when out shooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone carry a weapon while out 'shooting' ? I happened to have a carry permit, and after a friend of mine lost about $2500 in equipment to a strong-arm thief, I thought I'd just have one handy... Almost always go out with it, and certainly 'always' go out with it when I'm away from civilization to an extent shooting landscapes ..

Well, I needed it today. I wasn't out shooting pictures, but I was doing a little Geocaching across the canyon this afternoon - in an area that I do spend a lot of time taking photographs.. Nobody around - this is a fairly flat desert area with a generous scattering of large rocks and boulders.. I had my GPS in my hand and was just waking across the area, when I heard a couple of dogs barking very loudly - ... here they came - running at me full out - mad as hell - snarling and barking with teeth showing ..... Did I mention they were Rots' ?? - Extremely LARGE Rots... and thought this area of the prairie was theirs .. Right over the knoll, and had my 'nads' in their sights !! :gah:​

I just froze - and they kept coming ... snarling and barking... the first one was about 30 feet in front of me and I fired off 3 rounds in front of him, kicking up some dirt ... he stopped like he hit a wall, and here comes a girl over the same knoll yelling "Don't shoot my dogs, don't shoot my dogs".. She was out for a walk with them, and apparently they smelled something they didnt' like about me, and was gonna take me out... she put them on a leash and I told her that the dogs were realllly lucky - as much as animal lover as I am, and certainly would do everything in my power to avoid hurting an animal, I fired off these shots as a warning - but the next ones would have stopped them for good.. - and I would have had a hard time ever getting over that, but .. I know what a 140 pound Rot can do to a man if it's mad ...​

There's no way she could have stopped them - I would have been kibbles if I hadn't had that weapon.. (Sig Sauer P229 Elite Stainless) - Anyone else have protection when they are out?​

​

I used to carry when I was down in Indonesia. The more remote parts of Indonesia. And the reason for that was, that when we arrived they pretty much pressed each and every one of us a piece in hand.
Not sure how much good it would have really done us, but hey...you do feel just a tad more secure.
But now in Hong Kong, aside that a private person cannot get a license, no need.

In that kind of situation - wow, honestly don't know what I'd do. Rots when wild are not fun at all. I used to have a Rot - she was a lovely dog, and well, well trained. But I do remember one time, walking with her just down to the beach (she was luckily on the leash) something ticked her off about this guy approaching us, she barred her teeth and growled...and then tried to take off - had quite some problems holding her, and all the commands did not help. He left in a hurry and as soon as he was out of sight / out of smell she calmed down.

Well at least you had trees around right?? LOL Damn I hate dogs!

Very interesting story! Now you've got me worried as one who carries no specific weaponry. Being one who prefers to not pack 'heat', I'm wondering if any of the myriad pepper-based self defense products might help against canines. Obviously, you couldn't use use it until they got very close so you're probably looking at taking some amount of damage before you could get the spray into their faces.

I do carry, and happen to be lucky enough to live in a county where it's actually feasible to get a carry permit in Ca. I'm usually either carrying my XD40 or Kimber Pro Carry .45. I'm glad you didn't have to shoot the dogs and everything worked out okay. You never really expect a girl to come running around a corner after something like that asking you not to hurt her dogs. It actually reminds me of an Army friend of mine who almost took his 6" Ka-Bar to a Rott that was trying to attack and then the girl who owned the dog came running up saying "Please don't kill my dog!"

Very interesting story! Now you've got me worried as one who carries no specific weaponry. Being one who prefers to not pack 'heat', I'm wondering if any of the myriad pepper-based self defense products might help against canines. Obviously, you couldn't use use it until they got very close so you're probably looking at taking some amount of damage before you could get the spray into their faces.

About the only pepper spray that would have any sort of a chance against mad Canines is probably this device. Kimber Guardian Angel Pepper Blaster Self Defense Gel Projection Device 10% OC - MidwayUSA
But I'm not sure I'd put my life in the hands of a two shot pepper blaster either.

Anyone carry a weapon while out 'shooting' ? I happened to have a carry permit, and after a friend of mine lost about $2500 in equipment to a strong-arm thief, I thought I'd just have one handy... Almost always go out with it, and certainly 'always' go out with it when I'm away from civilization to an extent shooting landscapes ..

Well, I needed it today. I wasn't out shooting pictures, but I was doing a little Geocaching across the canyon this afternoon - in an area that I do spend a lot of time taking photographs.. Nobody around - this is a fairly flat desert area with a generous scattering of large rocks and boulders.. I had my GPS in my hand and was just waking across the area, when I heard a couple of dogs barking very loudly - ... here they came - running at me full out - mad as hell - snarling and barking with teeth showing ..... Did I mention they were Rots' ?? - Extremely LARGE Rots... and thought this area of the prairie was theirs .. Right over the knoll, and had my 'nads' in their sights !! :gah:​

I just froze - and they kept coming ... snarling and barking... the first one was about 30 feet in front of me and I fired off 3 rounds in front of him, kicking up some dirt ... he stopped like he hit a wall, and here comes a girl over the same knoll yelling "Don't shoot my dogs, don't shoot my dogs".. She was out for a walk with them, and apparently they smelled something they didnt' like about me, and was gonna take me out... she put them on a leash and I told her that the dogs were realllly lucky - as much as animal lover as I am, and certainly would do everything in my power to avoid hurting an animal, I fired off these shots as a warning - but the next ones would have stopped them for good.. - and I would have had a hard time ever getting over that, but .. I know what a 140 pound Rot can do to a man if it's mad ...​

There's no way she could have stopped them - I would have been kibbles if I hadn't had that weapon.. (Sig Sauer P229 Elite Stainless) - Anyone else have protection when they are out?​

​

Nice choice of weapon and good thing to do. I carry virtually anytime I'm out of the house (currently in the Air Force and an expert marksman with sidearms). Currently carrying a Sig Sauer P250 9mm Subcompact. Love the new model.

I would have done the same thing as you in that situation, btw.

I always keep a couple condoms. In my wallet.

Kidding, on a serious note. I live in contra cosat county in ca so a ccw is out of the question for me. I do however always carry my sog folding knife, my surefire g2 modified to 200 lumins and a 2.5 oz can of bear spray ( mace on steroids). I've been lucky enough to never have use any of it but it's better have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

I did once blind sone punk with my light at about 9pm for trying to hit on my wife then get in my face for calling him on it.
Even a bright light can be a great attitude adjustment tool when used right.

Today I learned: Rick Otto is a badass. Do not F with him.

I used to carry pretty much everywhere. Then I realized that the area I live in isn't dangerous at all really. I mean, yea someone might try to fight me but I've been in Jiu Jitsu/Monday and Tae Kwon Doe/Wednesday for the past 10 years and regularly compete in sparring and full contact sparring tournaments, so I'm not worried about fighting. No one around here really carries to commit crimes. A lot of people carry simply for the fact that if someone forces entry into your house here you can legally blow their head off.

I always carry with me. Usually it's in my camera bag since I usually do a lot of moving around and in case the firearm becomes visible I don't want to scare my clients.

A lot of the business I get is from strangers and the first time we meet is either in a public place or at the shoot location which is most times an abandoned building or something with not a lot of people around so I tend to have it on me when we meet for the first.

For any other forum members who might be interested in firearms related talk there's a firearms forum that operates just like this one and has a lot of really good members with a lot of knowledge. The Firing Line

You have a CCW or the equivalent in your state? What state? Here in California there is no way you can carry a gun, which few exceptions.

You have a CCW or the equivalent in your state? What state? Here in California there is no way you can carry a gun, which few exceptions.

I live in Idaho - pretty much all you need to do is apply. You do have to take a firearms course, - or - display proficency with a firearm - I'm a former Special Forces Sgt, and former Law Enforcement, so all I had to do was verify that, go thru a background investigation to ensure no prior violent history, and it's good for 6 years..

I carry a 3 inch switchblade on me a ALL times. Regardless of how much photo equipment I have.

I'll cut a ***** if they cross me. (Not really, but I did almost have to stab someone last month).

With having a young son and often many other young nieces and nephews in my home, I've decided to keep all of my guns securely locked up.

With so many young children around, I don't want to run the risk of them getting ahold of something they shouldn't. I've decided that the risk of me making a stupid mistake by leaving a gun where tiny fingers can get their hands on it is greater than me needing to use it.

Once the kids are old enough to have the sense not to play with them, i'll start carrying, until then, they will remain in my gun safe if I'm not using them.

That lady was lucky you were there and not me... those bullets wouldn't have gone in front of the dogs, they would have gone in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back