Early Christmas for me too!

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
On the way to Chicago and wife gave me this. Thought I could use it this weekend. She went into Mom & Pop store and they know me so brought out the 200-500 and the 85mm, said I had looked at both. Wife picked the 85mm... I was shocked! She never gets me any good presents! Woo Hoo! [emoji41]

2fe7accf089b502dce316cc2fb5d5b04.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Whooohoooo!

Oh, yeah, it's a sweeeeet lens. I have one, and I consider it the absolute sharpest, crispest, best optic I own that was under $4,000. Not kidding you. This is a lens that has really gooooooooood optics, in a small,light and relatively unassuming-looking polycarbonate barrel. This is a lens you can use to "shoot loose, then crop" with later, to an extraordinary degree. And the coolest thing is--this lens has extremely good image quality across the entire frame, even fairly wide-open, at like f/2.2 to f/2.5...this is NOT the "old" 85mm 1.8 designed two plus decades ago...this is a lens that was designed for the new, 36 million pixel and up, d-slr era. This is a bitingly sharp medium-length telephoto lens. This is a really GOOD lens! It's much better optically than the price might indicate.No--let me rephrase that last statement: it's wayyyyy better than the price might indicate.

So far, I'm digging it. Zooming in on playback and things look crisp and shaaaarp.

8d1fe140c6cd79cceb905f396c94ad95.jpg

awesome. your gonna love that thing.
I shot in a auditorium last night and we could not use flash. I think I captured some successful photos of my niece's play, which was awesome by the way. Will know more tonight when I get home. Tough conditions to shoot in to say the least.

awesome. your gonna love that thing.
I shot in a auditorium last night and we could not use flash. I think I captured some successful photos of my niece's play, which was awesome by the way. Will know more tonight when I get home. Tough conditions to shoot in to say the least.

i can hand hold a 1.8 lens at night time and get good results as long as there is some light available. so i bet you got some good ones.

Maybe your new toy and my new toy can have a play date some day?,
Congrats
Merry Christmas or Holiday
Sure, I can do portraits of you shooting birds 100 yards out while I sit there and pout like a baby because I haven't the reach.

Nice! 85 is one of my favorite focal lengths. I see you getting a lot of use out of that!
I think it's gonna be my favorite lens. Curious to see how some of the 200 clicks came out.

jcdeboever said:

That is exactly the type of situation that I recommend the fast, f/1.8 prime lens for! It's SHARP, easy to hand-hold, and allows you to shoot loose, then crop-in later at the computer. This is why I consider the 50mm 1/.8 and the 85/1.8 the first two prime lenses to acquire--the ability to shoot at a wide f/stop, and at a safe, steady shutter speed, for cropping-in, later.

Well I looked at them and I have to admit I am some what disappointed in them. Not the lens but with the shooter. I clearly do not have a full understanding of what I am doing with my camera. I embarrassedly will post some pics tomorrow in this thread to get some feedback.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back