Early Christmas! Look what was in MY box!!

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
image.jpeg

I got a Nikon 200-500!!!
Evidently hubby thought my photography had taken leaps and bounds this year. I never asked for it or told him, 'I wish I had..'
I have the D7000 and my only 'big' lens had been the Nikkor 55-300 that I bought 4 years ago with the camera. (Have the 35 1.8, Tokina 11-16, and Sigma 17-70)

Now I have so many thoughts....
1- now I need a bigger camera bag
2- now I need a better tripod head
3- I need to start weight training to hold this 5 pounder

AND..
1- does this mean I can't post in the beginner forum with my newb questions
2- how do I respond when someone says, 'what are YOU doing with THAT lens?'

Oh, so many questions....
Merry Christmas.
Happy Holidays to other Religions too!

Wow, I hate you... jk... whats your address?

You know... someone who's just received a $1500 lens should be able to post an image that's actually in focus... just sayin'! ;)

Congratulations! Be sure to thank your husband profusely.

Nice product shot. I love the stage and pose. Or maybe not so much. Heh, heh.

I ain't got no such zoomey lens nohow, but it shore looks nice. I've had lenses up to 500mm and that focal length is sometimes it just what one needs for that killer photo. I never much worried about how much a camera and/or lens weighed -- I was more intent in what it/they could do for my images. Have fun.

You know... someone who's just received a $1500 lens should be able to post an image that's actually in focus... just sayin'! ;)
She was in a hurry and couldn't concentrate. :allteeth:

All jittery and shaky.

Whooohooo! Congrats! That is a gorgeous lens! And way to go hubby.

Oh yeah, that was another question...j/k
I took it quick with my IPad at my volunteer job....but clarity is on my wish list too

Nice!!!!

One tip - you know that rule of thumb for 1/focal length for the handholding shutter speed?
Double it!
1/1000sec at 500mm till you get used to it. Heavier lenses mean more fatigue and more strain so you wear out quicker and small motions at 500mm show up a lot more than at shorter focal lengths. In general just like you can often handhold short focal length lenses much slower than the rule of thumb suggests; the opposite is true for longer focal lengths.

Of course personal strength, experience and situation also comes into play as well as posture, wind, health, fatigue etc... so its all rules of thumb

Look forward to seeing some results from the lens :)

Don't necessarily believe any Old Wives' Tales (or Old Husband Tales). I knew a big time magazine photographer (well paying, fun job in the middle of the last century) who could take a great photo with a 500mm lens at 1/30 sec. Not every time but often enough to get the photos sold to major magazines. But it is true that long lenses and long exposure times require some thought.

Desert - with the right experience and posture you can shoot slower - further use of something simple like anything stable to lean on; or a string stabilizer can work*. However its generally something people have to work toward and I find with longer lenses its a lot easier to get handshake. Certainly its only ever a rule of thumb; but it at least gives people a place to start; some will need faster and some slower.

*This is where you attach a bit of string to the base of the camera/tripod collar (a ring-pull on the quick release plate works well to tie string to) and then have an object at the other end of the string which you then stand upon; by tensioning the string it acts as a form of support to further stabilize you for hand-shooting (I've known people to do this in museums where tripods and even monopods are often not allowed, but the floor is firm enough to allow good pressure around the object).

Don't necessarily believe any Old Wives' Tales (or Old Husband Tales). I knew a big time magazine photographer (well paying, fun job in the middle of the last century) who could take a great photo with a 500mm lens at 1/30 sec. Not every time but often enough to get the photos sold to major magazines. But it is true that long lenses and long exposure times require some thought.

TRUST me, I am not him!! I got it a couple of days ago, and it's only been on the tripod, no hand holding for me yet :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back