earn money from your photos

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by lynch512, Jan 10, 2005.

1. metroshane

metroshane TPF Noob!

What if I start selling my porsches for $.20? No one is going to buy your porsche or corolla. So, soon I'll be out of business because I can't maintain a business like that, but wait there's another sucker who thinks he only deserves $.20 for his porsches. Still no one is buying your cars. And the cycle continues. We are all working very hard at trying to make it as photographers and the biggest mistake we all make is undervaluing our work. That's what the music industry has done to itself. Look at how many great musicians can't survive on the money from their craft because there are 20 other musicians lined up to do it for free. It's no different than outsourcing work to cheaper countries. And it's why we have a federally mandated minimum wage.

But many people do believe the way you do, and so be it.

2. Artemis

Artemis Just Punked Himself

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Do you have to be 18 to sign up?

I personally do alot of work for charity and free at the moment, its how you get known...

3. metroshane

metroshane TPF Noob!

noble.

Really?

4. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    When I posted my images at istock, my intention was not to put bread on the table. I was merely a freshie (I still am pretty much). But over the period, if my skill level happens to get any better, and if I want to earn serious money from stock, I will be positioning my products from firms like Corbis, getty, ipn, comstock etc. Ever heard of any big time advertising companines (Y&R, saatchi & saatchi...)buying from ".20 stock agencies"? Ever heard of TIME buying from .20 companies? I have not heard, thus far. And I don't think Corbis is threatened by any of these .20 stock companies. :)
    If I think my work is top-notch, my next step would be to seek the platform that would sell my work at a premium. If they reject my portfolio, it just means that I'm not good enough yet (according their market standards). I will have to work hard until I have a Porsche to offer. The .20 companies simply serve a different sect of the market. Those who have Porsches should not worry about that market.

5. GerryDavid

GerryDavid No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And if a pro is on istock, they probably just upload thier 2nd's that are not so good that would normally just be collecting dust on the hard drive. And keeping the great shots for the pro stock companies.

The majority on istock probably cant get on a real stock company at this time, so this is a good way to improve your skills.

6. Rob A

Rob A TPF Noob!

you speak wisely!! :thumbsup:

7. Rob A

Rob A TPF Noob!

how would i contact a real stock company? i mean i know at the moment im nowhere near good enough, but just for far future referance? would i email them a portfolio or send it to them or ....

thanks!

8. Artemis

Artemis Just Punked Himself

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I believe doing local free work will get me known yes, and I am now, ive been asked a few times to do some pics, and have joind a sub photography group (As head photographer) who are going to do weddings and stuff...

Plus...is I stock for under 18's?

9. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ::
    Get this for starters. The market is much broader than the stock.

Corbis
    Comstock
    I don't have the links to similar pages in gettyimages.

Get registered with Blackbook. It is on the desk of all the big time Talent seekers.

I'm sure there are plenty more links related to this which I am not aware of yet. I hope someone here could help you.

10. Rob A

Rob A TPF Noob!

excelent!! thanks danalec!! :thumbsup:

11. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    YW :)

12. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I'm not aware of any age or country bar. But you might want to email (service@istockphoto.com) their Customer Service personnel before you sign up.