ease of use for a beginner

Check out the new XSi. THIS review is saying that it's quite a bit better than the XTi

In regards to the original question, I have the Xt. I looked at both the Xt and d40. The Xt was easier to understand to me. I like the LCD screen on the d40 better though. I do love my Xt, but the kit lens is just ok, so I ended up buying the lens that comes with the XSi. I heard that the lens that comes with the d40 is nice (for a kit lens).

thanks for all the comments so far..i'm starting to lean more toward the nikon d40

i only said i was a novice, because i'm not an amature, and i'm no pro, so where's that leave me :D ...

i'm currently using a kodak z612, its a "prosumer" dslr wanna be...but it does take nice pictures, i just wanna take GREAT pictures...

this one i shot the other day with the kodak...

100b4260.jpg

i've got 2 pocket sized p&s for quick photos, but i wanna get better shots, mainly of cars:D

The d40 is more recent and has better ergonomics. Plus a better kit lens. Go for it.

i've found a lens kit for the d40 that comes with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX and 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens for not that much more than just the 18-55mm lens...

is it worth the extra money to get the second lens or am i wasting the cash?

I recently bought a D40 and absolutely love it. of course I still have some work and learning to do, but the camera itself is extremely easy, and is alot of fun to use. I've only taken it out twice and learned pretty much all the basics. The manual helps alot, and then the members on here are always more than happy to help. I wouldn't buy a P&S, you will most likely get bored with it and want a DSLR soon enough after you just bought the P&S. Just my two cents.

The max f/stop on both those lenses has me worried, keyster. You'll have problems selecting a shallow DoF, and your flash won't reach as far as you would want. Indoor available light photography (ball games etc.) will be very difficult, and you're going to need your tripod more often.
I'd save up for better optics.

The max f/stop on both those lenses has me worried, keyster. You'll have problems selecting a shallow DoF, and your flash won't reach as far as you would want. Indoor available light photography (ball games etc.) will be very difficult, and you're going to need your tripod more often.
I'd save up for better optics.

ok maybe i should have started off by saying what i will be using the camera to shoot...

i'm just getting into photography as a hobby. i want to take sharp, crisp photos of cars outside at random locations and at shows.

here's an example of a photo I would like to be able take...

2478311465_dca56ba468_b.jpg

Maybe its because I own 2 jettas myself but those shots are grrrrrrrreat!!

Jetta power!

thanks man, i'll take credit for the first shot of the black jetta, but my friend took the second shot of the silver jetta

i like VWs if no one noticed :D

I have an 03 GLS and an 01 GL both black.

both babies...1 under 85k and newest one under 55k

mine is an 02 with 65k....its a 24v too :D

back on topic though, i wanna take pics like the second one...

only difference I'm seeing is the grain in the first vs the second.

You can take shots like the second with standard kit lense as well as lowering ISO on your p&s.

you're not that far off with your current setup....Only issues I'm seeing are the unwanted shadows that don't really exist in the second...The second isn't perfect either though.

I like the way the car is arranged more in yours. What kind of camera is it?

Most reactions

Back