Eat Cake! DxOMark's highest score---D800

Yeah, well I'm sure that's as much a marketing ploy as file size issue. If the D800 had everything (or close) that the D4 has...both have their respective places ;)

D800 is a very good camera. Too bad it's just so......slow. Fps was pretty much the deciding factor for me :(

I have a feeling that we will see lower res/better iso D800s at some point and 5d X with whoop ass sensor res...

That was my concern as well. I get about 6fps from my D7000 and that seems fast enough for what I do, but 4? That is one of the reasons I am anxious to see some practical field tests. I want to know just how well the crop modes on the D800 perform. If I can use the High MP FX setting for macro and landscapes and switch to DX mode to up the FPS and get a little more distance out of my lens for barrel racing...

D800 is a very good camera. Too bad it's just so......slow. Fps was pretty much the deciding factor for me :(

I have a feeling that we will see lower res/better iso D800s at some point and 5d X with whoop ass sensor res...

I could care less about the FPS... I don't shoot sports. Even when shooting dance, I prefer to shoot the images I want and capture Exactly the moment I want.. instead of hoping the camera caught it with FPS! But I do understand that a lot of people want that capability.. so they need the D4!

Good reason if you don't need full frame to keep an eye out for the D400. I bet it has 8+ frames per second. This would be great for Sports and HDR bursts. Although there is much benefit to full frame. If the rumor is true and the D400 has pixel binning than you would not need a full frame to get the better image quality.

Looks like the D800 is better for portraits and landscape photography any how.

Man this is impressive! It bead the flagship D4?! Wt...f....I'm bummed out.

Yeah I am in shock now, this is truly stunning. I can not believe the D800 has low light performance as good as the D4? What the hell! I can't work this out at all.. The D800 is clearly going to knock people dead with it's performance and here was me thinking Nikon were clueless for releasing a 36MP. I have to say, not to start a Nikon VS Canon war... but jeez Canon will really have to pull out all the stops if they are going to rise to the challenge of this.

I still find it hard to believe though the 36MP D800 can match the 16MP D4. Who knows though? It seems Nikon are just mastering sensor technology for fun right now. Well done Nikon!

Remember, it's only when normalized, otherwise the D4 beats the D800 by at least a stop viewing at 100% on screen.

Nice! Until it's scores are beat by the next generation of medium and large format sensors, then again by it's own successor, then it's successor by it's successor, then again by it's successors successors successors.

It's a fantastic time to be alive and be able to view the advancement in technology move so fast!

I'm waiting for the next Sony FF camera with the same sensor. Sony makes Nikon's FF sensors. I assume by the time they're allowed to use it in a Sony camera they'll have been able tweak it beyond the D800/D4. Plus it'll be a translucent mirror.

Remember, it's only when normalized, otherwise the D4 beats the D800 by at least a stop viewing at 100% on screen.

Oh oh sweet that makes me feel much better! I thought the D800 has straight out better high ISO capabilities. I was thinking why am I spending $6000+ On the D4 when a $3000 D800 beats it. Was gonna pull a cgipson1.

I need to step back man, getting so amped up on all the reports yet there's no D800's in sight to be had. B&H isn't offering much information. All the Bestbuys around here (just found out) had a few and sold within hours. I've called nearly every BB in the state :D

[breathe]

I could care less about the FPS... I don't shoot sports. Even when shooting dance, I prefer to shoot the images I want and capture Exactly the moment I want.. instead of hoping the camera caught it with FPS! But I do understand that a lot of people want that capability.. so they need the D4!

Well, in my case I don't need high fps count for sports either. What I do need high fps count for is multi exposure/hdr shots. And my old rebel 500D was absolutely terrible with its 3 fps. Oh yeah and the D4 is how much more expensive?
In the end a camera body isn't much of a commitment. The glass is, and I think canon's current 70-200 II and upcoming 24-70 II are the best zooms in the world right now.

To be perfectly honest I don't think Mark 3 will rate as high as D800 or D4 because although having comparable ISO performance, it loses significantly on resolution and DxO tests take that into account. And let's also remember that comparing dslr DxO marks is like comparing videocards in 3dmark. It's only a synthetic benchmark.

This is great news (I saw it on NR as well. :) ). My D800 was shipped from Amazon this afternoon via 1-day air. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow!

Mark

Most reactions

Back