Ebay camera purchases - ukraine

walter23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Anybody ever buy a camera from the ukraine through either "Western Bid" or "Seller-Online" / "Protek Inc"? I've bid on a lubitel MF TLR and I got a great price, but I'm afraid to send my money to some shady post office box in the U.S. (these companies claim to be liasons for sellers in the ukraine, who allow people in north america to pay in US dollars and have ukrainian goods sent).

I guess I'm looking for answers like "yes, I ordered from seller-online and got my camera" or "no, I didn't get a camera and those guys are definitely scam artists". I can already see it looks a bit shady, but my lubitel is only $20 including shipping, so the gamble isn't too serious... :)

My advice would be 'only send what you can afford to lose'.
You may get a camera but there are a lot of con men out there so who knows.

Check the sellers feedback. That's a real good indication of what will happen to you. If the seller has under 10 feedbacks, I would recommend buyer beware. Read what any negative feedbacks the seller has. If the sellers history checks out, you should be fine...

Haven't dealt with that firm. Have never heard of it. I can offer this generality. Feel free to disregard, as it bears no meaningful info.

I am from Ukraine.

I have no idea about the firm itself. It's very probable that the owner is legit.

The post office on the other hand is horrible and corrupted. Sending of a package doesn't guarantee intended person receiving it.

I did however ordered 2 lens from rugift.com Arrived ok.

Try it, may be worth it. But you can lose your $$.

Well, if you could spend maybe another 40-50 dollars you might be able to find a nice Yashica TLR on E-bay. If you don't want to spend that much on an entry level TLR, then it's worth taking the risk with the Lubitel (which is a decent TLR, by the way, despite its looks).

Good luck.

DocFrankenstein – Have you hear of DVD Technik, found them on Ebay with copy of Leica III for sale. How can they do that? Are there cameras any good?

The Ukraine can be a fine source of FED2s, Zorki-4s and Leica copies as well as the Lubitels. Personally I won't barter for less than 100% feedback and also with a minimum of around 80 feedback hits.

And also ensure it's done by paypal.

The most dodgy continent to buy Ebay stuff from is......America and Canada. Even if the Democratic Party end up on Ebay I'd still be wary of overpaying..... ;)

Jeff Canes said:
DocFrankenstein – Have you hear of DVD Technik, found them on Ebay with copy of Leica III for sale. How can they do that? Are there cameras any good?
Never... What's that?

DocFrankenstein said:
Jeff Canes said:
Never... What's that?

this the like to there web site: http://www.dvdtechcameras.com/
Seen like trademark violation to me.

DocFrankenstein said:
Jeff Canes said:
this the like to there web site: http://www.dvdtechcameras.com/
Seen like trademark violation to me.
Wait... What has been violated exactly?

You do not have right to use another company’s name and logo without there premesion, if you do so it counterfeiting. Leica would not want low quality cameras in marketplace. If you unknowing got a counterfeit Leica and quality is poor who will you be unhappy with Leica or counterfeiter.

Also western countries uphold each other’s product protection laws. It would likely slip thru customs, but if not it could be seized as counterfeiter goods.

I am thinking about e-mailing DVD Technik to see if they have a licineing agreement with Leica. Most likely they with clam rights under an old East German copyright or patent.

Most reactions

Back