Editing Assistance

pictureperfect84

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I love this image of the baby laughing but its distracting because my WB was off. Here is a before and after of what I did do with the image so far, but im still not 100% because of the color and background. Editing advice? Anyone is more then welcome to take an editing shot at it.

SOOC/RAW

$_MG_0959.jpg

EDIT ATTEMPT$_MG_0959_2.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the second one more. I dont like the edit here. but at least you can see what it looks like lighter lol.

I dont think the WB was off.. looks like your monitor might be (or maybe more work monitor is?)

WB looks fine. Focus does not appear to be perfect on the eyes, and the background out of focus material looks kind of unpleasant.

Your problem is that you haven't got any dark tones. You've lost all the blacks (there's not MUCH in there, but you had some and killed them, somehow, I think). Increase contrast a tad, push the dark tones down more, and gently blur the background to be a bit smoother. You have a case of "jittery bokeh" here.

Ya I was at a 1.8 here. I messed up cause I scooted back and she got this laugh so I snapped and I should have changed my aperture when I did that. :(

Selected the rock and copied to a new layer
flipped it horizontally
selected stuff on baby layer and removed it.
made it a bit warmer
made an overlay layer and dodged the face a bit.
add the finest watercolor layer and took the opacity to 10%
added a curves layer and pulled the center a bit to get a little more saturation
added slight vignette

I should have worked a bit on the vertical darkish line on left and removed the pink stuff under baby arm but I ran out of energy)

_MG_0959llll.jpg

a couple quick edits. I upped the exposure, added contrast, did a little curves adjusting and wb adjusting too. Also cloned out some distractions.

edit: now that I see it up, I don't really like the b/w...still too muddy on the skin tones.

Attachments

• $_MG_0959-2.jpg
    $_MG_0959-2.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 61
  • $_MG_0959.jpg
    $_MG_0959.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 63
a couple quick edits. I upped the exposure, added contrast, did a little curves adjusting and wb adjusting too. Also cloned out some distractions.

edit: now that I see it up, I don't really like the b/w...still too muddy on the skin tones.

Nice I like both

LOL Is mine that bad hahahaaha? meeehh!

It's not a white balance issue, it's a composition issue. As JanineH mentioned in post #5 and The_Traveler alluded to with his edit, your subject is just plain on the wrong side of the shot. The subject needs to be looking toward the center of the image. If they are on the edge looking out they look cramped, just as this one does. You have a lot of dead space on the right side of the shot and it needs to be on the left side with the subject looking toward the center.

It can be fixed as Lew showed in his edit, but it's going to take some time and editing finesse just as he did.

Most reactions

Back