editing software? what do you use?

I don't see anyone using Corel AfterShot Pro 2, has anyone tried it?

dave
I use AfterShot Pro for now. I have used the trial version of 2 and have been meaning to upgrade but haven't gotten around to doing it yet. As a hobbyist I feel that its a very reasonable solution for editing. It has similar functionality to Lightroom but is on sale often for a lot less.

Landscapes in Lightroom.

Portraits in Photoshop.

LOL!!!! I'm SO FUNNY!!!!

Anyway, I edit landscapes in lightroom because I'm picky about what tones I want in my images. For example, since I am now in the lovely season of autumn, I've found myself turning greens more orange-y, reds more pink-y, and blues more light blue/green-y in landscapes. I try to separate images into two main colours in my brain, and edit those colours to compliment each other.

Portraits in photoshop because it's easy.

For 100 percent digital stuff I use Lightroom, rarely taking it into Photshop if needed. I also use Capture NX2 (not that I recommend it to others, it's like Crack Cocaine, do not get addicted to it because it's out of production).

For film I use Lightroom as well after I scan the images (no need to talk about that here).

Lightroom initially for culling, WB, cropping, some highlight/shadows. Then into Photoshop as I find that I can get the results I want even though it's cumbersome. I should probably look into some Lightroom tutorials so I don't have to mess with PS much at all.

Is there any programs that aren't monthly payment or super expensive? Only asking because I'm no where near the stage of "great" pictures or "professional" but I would like something cost effective to learn on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How "safe" are these free programs? Reason I ask is my computer is a high end piece of plastic and wires so I don't want to jeopardize its integrity. Granted I used malwarebytes on each program but nothing is full proof.

Nikon NX2 (upgrading to NX-D) and Pixelmator.

I have Nikon nx2 that came free with my camera. It seems simplistic and bare bones (maybe I'm just not using it right) is the nx d better?

How "safe" are these free programs? Reason I ask is my computer is a high end piece of plastic and wires so I don't want to jeopardize its integrity. Granted I used malwarebytes on each program but nothing is full proof.

Like anything you get for free, you run a risk. Like anything downloaded, you need to know/determine the source you can trust for the cleanest file.

I'd say it's safe to assume anything being offered on line has some risks and people may want to be financially rewarded for giving away their work. So "free" may come with some strings.

How hackable is any software? I can't tell you that answer but I assume most is.

I had no problem with Lightzone or Gimp though I will need to have my low end netbook wiped after trying another program. (Sorry, can't remember which one.) If you are getting your suggestions from a trusted source such as a photography or computer magazine, then they probably know whether they can safely suggest the software. But a lot can happen between the time they suggest and you download.

Know your source and you minimize your risk. Follow the proper protocol for downloading. Allow your anti-virus/spyware/malware software to look at the file before you say it's OK to add.

Otherwise, pay for the software and ask for the DVD version. That's the only 99.999% "safe" way I know to add a program to your computer. Even that is going to access the net to perform the download and check for possible upgrades and registration.

Is there any programs that aren't monthly payment or super expensive? Only asking because I'm no where near the stage of "great" pictures or "professional" but I would like something cost effective to learn on

I use Gimp for general editing - it is excellent - and UFRaw for raw processing - also excellent.

Don't let the fact that they are free put you off, they are produced by serious organisations and will do you as proud as either Photoshop or Lightroom so long as you are not a professional graphic artist.

Sent from my A1-840 using Tapatalk

There are multiple selections in lower cost/free software choices. Picasa will do basic editing and can "get you through". For essential touch ups; no spot removal or discrete adjustments, no horizon leveling, etc., it would be my first suggestion if you are looking for a simple, no frills, low introductory learning curve program.

Gimp is very good at the heavy lift processing but along with its power comes its learning curve. Unless you already comprehend image processing Gimp will take awhile to get hold of.

If you shoot in Jpeg, the camera has done most of the processing for you. Only simple adjustments are allowed after that so software is, in a sense, negligible. Others may feel differently, but I sure wouldn't be putting a lot of effort or cash into Jpeg software. Though as you progress in your photography, if your camera allows RAW capture, that's what you'll use.

With a RAW data file processing is a necessity. RAW files tend to look very flat and drab until you make them into something. That's when you begin to realize the software you use is as important as any other component in your photographic process. You can see this for yourself by giving the trial period of, say, Photoshop Elements a go. It's free for the trial period.

Process your image with Picasa and then with Elements. If you don't notice an improvement with one piece of software vs the other, then stick with the one you prefer for the cost. If you see the potential of a more powerful processor in the final results, then you have a decision to make.

You can continue on with the lesser program and not concern yourself with achieving the best image quality because you are not "great" and not "professional". You can stay with the lesser program for years of less than top notch images. They're all capable of being saved until you can use higher quality software to make them better by way of the more comprehensive software.

You will know when the software is the technical issue of your progress as a photographer. When that time comes, you need to invest in software and some time learning how to use it. Several of the more popular and more comprehensive programs have older/discontinued versions which are available at lower than "new" costs.

In no way am I endorsing this specific site but here's an older version of Elements you can download; Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 ISO Free Download

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DMBWXS

Photoshop Elements - Compare Prices & Deals on Photoshop Elements & Many More Audio/Video Utilities Software at BlackFridayDiscount.net

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back