Editing software

tmartin2347

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I use the Canon software that came with my camera, but there's not too much to it.
Anyone have any good suggestions? I don't have the money to buy Photo shop yet, but I'm saving up for it.

I also just downloaded Picasa would I read about here, haven't had a chance to use it yet but looks pretty cool.

Oh and as far as watermarking your images, what are some good software programs where I can do that? I used to have one a few years ago but since then wiped my whole hard drive.

Google "Gimp". free and people seem to love it.

I am trying Gimp right now (just playing around with it) and it seems OK. I have played with Picasa and Photoscape as well, Gimp is definately more complex. I was sorry to see that Gimp only uses 8 bit output until version 3 comes out (whenever that will be) I think most cameras are using 12 bit or 14 bit color depth.

I have ordered Serif Photoplus X3 to see how it is. Got it brand new on ebay for $28.00, not a big deal if it isn't that great. I watched some of Serif's tutorials on youtube and it seems pretty powerful and easy to use. Since I am not going to be making money off of my photos I can't justify $1000 for photo editing. Unfortunately, I am going to be using it on an older computer so it probably will be slow (Gimp is sometimes slow on my computer).

I will say that Picasa and Photoscape are very easy to use but lack some features that may be useful (like RAW if you want to shoot in it). Photoplus has gotten some good rightups on the web and it seems to have some built in "easy" editing tools along with more complex editing tools. In the past with my point and shoots I have used a combination of products at the same time to get red eyes out and do panorama shots, I'm hoping that this will be able to do it all.

I actually just edited my first photo in RAW with my canon software, I'm going to post it and see what people say.

GIMP is alike to Photoshop, Canon RAW converter to Lightroom.

I was sorry to see that Gimp only uses 8 bit output until version 3 comes out (whenever that will be) I think most cameras are using 12 bit or 14 bit color depth.

Yeah this is a limitation. Although the heavy detailed work can be done in UFRAW just like you can in CameraRAW. So things like contrast, colour, and exposure adjustments which are some of the heavier modifications still take advantage of the high bitdepth of the modern cameras.

I was sorry to see that Gimp only uses 8 bit output until version 3 comes out (whenever that will be) I think most cameras are using 12 bit or 14 bit color depth.

Yeah this is a limitation. Although the heavy detailed work can be done in UFRAW just like you can in CameraRAW. So things like contrast, colour, and exposure adjustments which are some of the heavier modifications still take advantage of the high bitdepth of the modern cameras.

I think the problem with that is if it has 8 bit output and you use Gimp for editing, the photo will be 8 bit when you save or print; I may be wrong on this. The Photoplus program is supposed to be either 16 or 32 bit; hopefully it is a decent program.

I think the problem with that is if it has 8 bit output and you use Gimp for editing, the photo will be 8 bit when you save or print; I may be wrong on this.

Yeah that is right, ultimately as soon as the program enters GIMP then you're restricted to 8bit. However UFRAW is a standalone RAW converter / editor much like Adobe CameraRAW. You can open RAW files, work with them in their original bitdepth, and then export them to 16bit files from what I recall. You just can't edit them in GIMP, mind you UFRAW has more options for adjustment than CameraRAW, so great value for free :)

I'm with Keith lightroom has revolutionised how i work and it probably covers what you want and downloading the Beta means you can play for free until you have the money to buy it yourself.

Or take some classes at your local community college and pick up Photoshop at the vastly reduced price.

I've tried Lightroom but I can get most of what I want done with Bridge and see no need to buy anything else.

OK, anything else beyond Capture NX 2 (if you shoot Nikon I would start with that!!)

I've tried Lightroom but I can get most of what I want done with Bridge and see no need to buy anything else.

OK, anything else beyond Capture NX 2 (if you shoot Nikon I would start with that!!)

Of course. Lightroom is just bridge with a streamlined interfaced aimed at heavy workflow and editing of many images at once.

I tried Capture NX2 the other day (I used capture NX in my stupider days a long time a go). Short answer, it takes longer to startup than photoshop and uses nearly a gig of RAM to edit an image? Any adjustment I make takes upwards of 2 seconds to display across the image? And all this on a core2quad with 4gb of RAM?

Thanks but no thanks. Single most bloated program every. Results be dammed I don't think there exists a worse written and slower raw converter.

Most reactions

Back