Editing software

EllaElla

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am still very much a beginner, but have a little bit of interest in learning a little bit about editing. What would you suggest is a good starting point? What kind of software would you suggest? I don't have a very good computer. Just a new laptop with Windows 7, I think.

I would suggest getting your hands on Lightroom 4, Its an Awesome program, and it has helped me very much! Very good for organizing photos as well as Editing. And its simple to use!

There is a LR Forum and you can gain a lot of info there ...look up Laura Shoe as her videos are very easy to understand. Ona Mac Gimp is free and can be of help but do get LightRoom

Thank you. I didn't realize that there was a forum for this. Will post there too.

You can get GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program
or Photoscape : Free Photo Editing Software (Photo Editor) Download for free. Just download them from the internet.

Any image editing software is going to require some measure of computer literacy and also have a learning curve associated with it.

Like so many things , getting some instruction on how to use a computer or image editing software makes it much easier to learn how to use either.

For Lightroom 4 I recommend Martin Evenings easy to understand and comprehensive book - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers

Photoshop Lightroom has 7 modules. Only 1 of the 7 - the Develop module - is used for Raw conversion and parametric image editing. Being a parametric image editor, Lightroom cannot edit pixels.
Photoshop Lightroom 4 was designed to be used in conjunction with Adobe Photoshop Elements or Photoshop CS 6.

The remaining 6 modules deal with image ingestion, organization, management, and output.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I personally would go for Photoshop. Just due to my personal preference and I absolutely love the power of the software. I started with Photoshop 7 back in the day, and have never looked back.

Lightroom is awesome for exposure, curves, noise removal, blemish repairs, etc. It does not change the image itself.
If you want to actually EDIT and change the image you'll want Photoshop Elements 11. Does what lightroom does as well as allows you to actually change the image, use text, textures, make composites...

*sigh* I miss Picknik. :(

The 30 day free trials from Adobe is a great way to sample the various software for different skill levels. :thumbup:

I would either recommend Lightroom 4 which is on sale today through Adobe for only $79.00, or something close to that, and/or Photoshop Elements which is a very good starter editing program. Whichever you choose you will need to devote some time to. Lynda.com or Kelbytraining.com are great computer program training resources.

Photoshop Lightroom's Develop module is Adobe Camera Raw 7 (ACR 7).
Photoshop CS 6's Camera Raw is also ACR 7.
Photoshop Elements 11's Camera Raw is a de-featured consumer grade version of ACR 7. Elements Camera Raw has about 1/2 of the full ACR 7 feature set.

Lightroom's main reason for being is image database management.

I miss Picknik
It has evolved into this: Photo editor | PicMonkey: Free Online Photo Editing which is a good very basic, easy to use starting point. Google Picasa is another easy to learn basic editor. LR and PS are the industry standard, but are pricey and involve a definite learning curve. GIMP is very powerful, but like PS has a steep learning curve, however it is totally free. Here is a whole list to look through. Comparison of raster graphics editors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube for tutorials.

I use both Lightroom and Photoshop Elements. I find some things such as WB, exposure adjustment, and lens corrections are easier to do and can be easily 'mass applied' to groups of photographs in Lightroom. Yet horizontal alignment, final cropping (for various print sizes), and general editing such as cloning out undesireable background issues are better handled in Photoshop Elements.

What works for me may not work for others. Until this past February, I used only a very-ancient Photoshop 'light' version that came free with my first digital camera, a Canon G3. So I stayed with Adobe products and have not been disappointed.

Most reactions

Back