Editing software

Aschmitt0206

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I have recently got a new Canon eos d6. As I view the photos on my hp laptop all I am using is what comes with the computer. Trying to figure out what software is the best to view and edit photos? Any suggestions?..

Thanks, Ashlee

Can only speak to what I've tried (I assume you are windows 10 since you use an HP):

1) Photoshop Elements. Amazing value (typically about $60.00 USD on sale). Does all that 95% of photographers will ever need and does so with choices that are much simpler than the more complex packages. I've gotten great results with this program. A one-time payment as opposed to subscription. If your experience with photo editing is limited, this is a great start.

2) Photoshop CC/Lightroom combo- more powerful and and pay-by-the-month system (I currently pay 10.00/mo). In the long run, this will cost you way more money but you get a couple of 'extras' that are honestly not worth it. Interface is more daunting (most especially photoshop, tho the LR file-catalog systems takes some learning too), and I honestly would not recommend for someone just getting started. This is one of the programs I currently use.

3) DXO Pro- Almost a hybrid of photoshop and lightroom in terms of interface. I really like this program; especially for noise reduction, and micro-adjustment of contrast settings. Also has a very nice perspective adjustment tool set. I use this one currently as well.

Photoshop and Capture One are the best. Capture One is an incredible editing software for preparing your raw files, and Photoshop is best for skin retouching, sharpening, color toning and other major edits or corrections that may require layers and masking.

Last edited:
Yep.
I too use Capture One and Photoshop CC.
On occasion I use Lightroom since it's included with the Photoshop CC subscription.

From what I'm accustomed to, I can mention Luminar Luminar 2018 - The Best Photo Editing Software for Mac & PC | Skylum (ex-Macphun), Photoshop, of course, as the most popular software. However, the first one seems to be easier for me due to the presets. In PS I was a lil confused with all these layers. Here I can move between different workspaces depending on the kind of the photography I deal with. Kinda handy.

Adobe subscription plan gets you Photoshop, Lightroom, and Bridge, plus regular updates, for $10 a month. Others have mentioned some good options, plus you should have received Canon's Digital Photo Professional with your camera, if not you should be able to download free. It will allow you to do light editing.

Unless I need to get into heavy editing, I use DXO Pro. It is easy to use and IMHO does a better job of noise reduction and microcontrast adjustment. It is also the best at lens and camera distortion adjustments and has a huge database of various lens and camera combinations. I use DXO Pro 11 but I think the newer version has more edit functions.

Just to throw my opinion in.

I'm a big fan of Lightroom classic.
I did not really enjoy Capture One (version 11 ... although good, just not good for my work flow).

I'm very comfortable using Windows file management and have used it since before DOS was Windows. That said I really like Photoshop in conjunction with Bridge. I find that anything that comes up with photos or videos can be handled with Photoshop.
I really don't like Lightroom at all, but that's just me.

After using Photoshop for 15 years made the switch to Lightroom. 5 years ago, many of our local pros had done it but I thought it was still a bit weak. Not any more. Sharpening is fantastic and also have localize sharpening available from the adjustment brush It is where I do most of the heavy lifting but move to Photoshop for some localized adjustments and the liquify tool. I too use the 10/month plan. With those programs you might try to download the entire Nik suite if it is still free. Otherwise, it may be $50 from DxO. Elements would be a good choice to start as it has transferable skills to Lightroom/photoshop and I expect the terminology will be the same.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back