EF-S 17-55 F/2.8 IS - Anyone got IS issues?

DB_Cro

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just wondering about a few random forum/flickr posts that I found with
people saying that Image Stabilization on their lenses died.

I'll probably be getting this lens soon, used, and some of those are VERY old by now.
Is the IS dropping dead a real issue or?

Thnx.

I've heard this before, as I was about to buy one. I didn't buy one then, but it wasn't for that reason (my last car used to fail expensively and regularly). I know a few people with this lens, they all say its superb

Yeah, I've got no doubts about the lens other then IS.
I've been reading reviews about it for 4-5 years.

I'd get the 18-35 F/1.8 sigma but I really need a bigger range and really need the IS, so.. :-(

Won't be going FF any time soon, next body on the list is also APS-C, and when/if I DO upgrade
to FF I'd still keep the "old" stuff as backups, so I really want the absolutely best lens at this range.

I will say on the internet you'll hear about the bad ones "louder". If 2000 people have this lens and 20 have issues, who is likely to be on the net first , the 20 or the other 1980.

I had the 18-35 siggy, its great but as you say limited range. I sold it and bought a sigma 17-50mm f2.8 and a 35mm f1.8 prime. Happy enough so far

I will say on the internet you'll hear about the bad ones "louder". If 2000 people have this lens and 20 have issues, who is likely to be on the net first , the 20 or the other 1980.

I had the 18-35 siggy, its great but as you say limited range. I sold it and bought a sigma 17-50mm f2.8 and a 35mm f1.8 prime. Happy enough so far

If the Siggy was at the very least a 17-40, even at F/2, I'd do that, but really often need a bit more on both ends, so.. yeah, probably gonna take the 17-55 and save up for sigma 10-20.. :/

I personally know a photographer (and another couple on the internet) who have had their IS fail on that lens. But they are all full time photographers who used it quite a lot.

It is repairable (by Canon) so it's not a total loss if it does go.

The usual solution that they use, is to just turn the IS off until the really need it, rather than leaving it on the whole time.

Yeah, that's great if you buy a new lens and take care of it.
The used ones I found are 4-6 years old. :(

Most reactions

Back