EF vs EF-S lenses

lwan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

I'm not exactly new to photography but I'm not a professional either and I've only used an APC-C sized digital SLR so far (EOS 350D).

My question is the following :

I'm well aware of the crop factor that occur on APS-C sized sensors with EF lenses, what I wonder is if I can trust the focal length of EF-S specific lenses. Let me explain. Let's say you have two camera, a APS-C sized one and a full frame. You have also two lenses, one EF-S and one EF, said to be both 20mm for example. Will they produce the same frame ? In theory the EF-S lens is specifically made for an APS-C sensor so should take that into account already right ?
It's very important for me to chose my next lens as I plan to make the jump to full frame (EOS 5D) soon and I'm mostly doing HDR panorama by stitching a bunch of frames together.

So to resume, will a 20mm EF lens on the 5D will be the same as a 20mm EF-S on the 350D ?

Thank you very much in advance for your answer(s).
Erwan

Both lenses will give you the same framing of the image. The only difference is that the EFS lens does not have all the extra edge glass which the fullframe lens has and which is simply not used in the crop sensor camers by either the viewfinder or the sensor.

Ok ! Thank you very much.
That's bad news actually because I need the wider lens possible (possible in term of $$$). any recommendation on a wide EF lens ? I thought about the Canon 20mm f/2.8 but that might not be wide enough :s

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM (APS-C)
Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM

Tokina AF 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX (APS-C)
Tokina AF 12-24mm f/4 AT-X Pro DX (APS-C)

Sigma AF 10-20mm f/4-5.6 HSM EX DC (APS-C)
Sigma AF 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM (APS-C)
Sigma AF 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 HSM EX DG
Sigma 14mm f/2.8 EX Aspherical HSM

Tamron AF 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) SP (APS-C)
Tamron AF 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di II LD SP (APS-C)
Tamron AF 14mm f/2.8 Aspherical IF SP

These are some of the ultra wide lenses. The should all work with your camera. But if you are planning to upgrade to full frame sensor body soon, those without (APS-C) will work.

A lot of people here own the Sigma 10-20mm, Canon 10-22mm and the Tokina 11-16mm. I only have the Tamron 14mm prime

Most reactions

New Topics

Back