Electrical Tape to Repair Bellows is an Abomination

JohnFranklin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Absolutely disgusting. I marvel at the ignorance of the vulgar folk who resort to such crude measures. The camera is ruined after the tape is applied, that much is obvious. The chemicals on the tape will transfer to the original material and permanently destroy it, as it cannot be removed without damage. Yet, I continue to read tutorials on the internet advocating for this very practice!

Look at this poor camera, ruined by an amateur who did not even attempt to match the color:
pola195_04.jpg

This is not conservation. It is destruction. These camera bellows were often made of leather, which means you should use leather to repair the light leaks!

The leather should be thinly pared and attached with a reversible adhesive such as methyl cellulose, rice starch paste, or wheat paste. Another technique would be to use Japanese kozo paper (known to the English as Mulberry paper), and attached with the methyl cellulose, rice starch or wheat paste and then painted black with professional conservation quality acrylic paint.

Here is another destroyed camera with electrical tape all over the front:
tumblr_inline_mh3fgeNUKy1qb645l.jpg

The amateur fiend even proudly photographs the electrical tape next to the camera. Electrical tape is for electricians, not photographers.

What do you think is going to happen when that tape is removed years later? My goodness, it is quite horrendous to imagine! The camera has lost all collectible value. After this abomination, the camera will have to be fully restored using new materials at a great cost.

The historical and cultural value of these cameras are being destroyed.

Stop this madness!

i don't even think electricians use that worthless goo-tape.

well maybe the photographer was trying to quickly fix problems to use the bellows, versus conservation. You should continue to write detailed articles for people who want to conserve bellows and other vintage equipment. And also offer suggestions on people who are trying to quick fix issues such as this.

I we didn't have people doing those things then there would be no collectables :05.18-flustered:

If the red tape renders the bellows light tight then it is an excellent repair. Cameras are for using, not conserving.

At least it's electrical tape, I had a guy come into the camera store to drop off his film and he had to remove the scotch tape holding his camera back on.

Absolutely disgusting. I marvel at the ignorance of the vulgar folk who resort to such crude measures. The camera is ruined after the tape is applied, that much is obvious. The chemicals on the tape will transfer to the original material and permanently destroy it, as it cannot be removed without damage. Yet, I continue to read tutorials on the internet advocating for this very practice!

Look at this poor camera, ruined by an amateur who did not even attempt to match the color:
pola195_04.jpg

This is not conservation. It is destruction. These camera bellows were often made of leather, which means you should use leather to repair the light leaks!

The leather should be thinly pared and attached with a reversible adhesive such as methyl cellulose, rice starch paste, or wheat paste. Another technique would be to use Japanese kozo paper (known to the English as Mulberry paper), and attached with the methyl cellulose, rice starch or wheat paste and then painted black with professional conservation quality acrylic paint.

Here is another destroyed camera with electrical tape all over the front:
tumblr_inline_mh3fgeNUKy1qb645l.jpg

The amateur fiend even proudly photographs the electrical tape next to the camera. Electrical tape is for electricians, not photographers.

What do you think is going to happen when that tape is removed years later? My goodness, it is quite horrendous to imagine! The camera has lost all collectible value. After this abomination, the camera will have to be fully restored using new materials at a great cost.

The historical and cultural value of these cameras are being destroyed.

Stop this madness!

I must concur with our querulously verbose OP. Electrical Tape should definitely have not been used. The person should have used duct tape.

Duct-Tape-2.jpeg

Personally I would suggest using camo duct tape so the repair couldn't bee seen.
40DTASSRT_PRODFEAT_02-CAMO-DUCT-TAPE-PDQ-DISPLAYS-1600x1600.jpg

I must progress now to my terrace as it is in need of truncation via the use of a mechanical cutter. I bid you all well until our next assemblage at this most revered symposium.

Last edited:
pola195_04.jpg
Actually, after some extensive, in-depth research and review, I do believe the "amateur" spent significant time in creating a color coordinated solution to their dilemma.

If you pay particular attention to the red color of the release button in the background, you will find a very good color match between the two.

Maybe the owner spent significant time in coordinating and finding proper color tape to complete his mastery of not only restoration but providing more or an artistic flair to his end solution. Maybe, the owner didn't even had a bellows light leak.

If the bellows was 'repaired', albeit incorrectly, simply due to it having light leaks, then the best solution would be to replace the bellows?

So.......... replace the bellows. Problem solved.

Personally I would suggest using camo duct tape so the repair couldn't bee seen...........

So where do you find this 'camo duct tape'? I've looked everywhere, but can't see where anyone stocks it.

So where do you find this 'camo duct tape'? I've looked everywhere, but can't see where anyone stocks it.
Well, isn't that kind of the point? :eyebrows:

If the bellows was 'repaired', albeit incorrectly, simply due to it having light leaks, then the best solution would be to replace the bellows?

So.......... replace the bellows. Problem solved.

Personally I would suggest using camo duct tape so the repair couldn't bee seen...........

Duck 1-7/8 in. x 10 yds. Realwoods Camouflage Print All-Purpose Duct Tape-1409574 - The Home Depot
Shop Scotch 1.88-in x 30-ft Duct Tape at Lowes.com
Duck 1.88x10yd Real Woods Camoflauge Duct Tape (1409574) - Duct Tape - Ace Hardware

One does not simply "replace" the bellows my good man. One must of course find the proper vintage of leather in the proper shade of color. One then must have it properly done by an experienced restorer so as to be able to provide the proper provonance that the restoration has been properly been done in the proper manner. All very tooty snooty you know.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back