Elinchrom EL-Skyport Question

asfixiate

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm probably going with pocket wizards but had a question regarding skyports.

Could I accomplish the same thing with pocket wizards as I would skyport?

3 pocket wizards 1 attached to camera and 2 attached to 383

2 skyports attached to 2 383 and 1 transceiver

by 383 i'm referring to sunpak 383.

I'm looking at
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Skyport_Computer_RX_Remote_Trigger_Radio.html

and

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Wizard_801_125_Plus_II_Transceiver_Radio.html

3 pocket wizards vs the skyport set is more expensive but I'm leaning towards pocket wizard for the universal functionality. if my transceiver goes with the skyport I don't have tranceiver...if one of pocket wizards goes I can just use another.

There's no moving parts in any of those things, so they will usually outlast you by a long time. You could use both and really if in either case, one dies, you will need to purchase another or live with reduced functionality... which I doubt anyone would do.

The Elinchrome transmitter I believe is $103 vs the $180 of the PWs. Its not an amount that would break anyone's bank, to be honest, but it is a significant difference.

I would not look at it in this way, though... purchase based on your needs. If both do the same thing, choose the less expensive one. If one does more than the other, purchase the one that offers you more if it is important to you.

What triggers do you use?

I want to stay away from cactus and anything that I will eventualyl have to upgrade...with the skyports and pocket wizards they seem ahead of the game at least for now. There's this micro wireless transceiver I saw in shutterbug mag.

Presently none, I use the Nikon CLS system.

I really am leaning towards the Radio Poppers when they become available in Canada in a few months. Once they come out and are easier to see/look at, I will be doing research on them to finalize a choice.

I really like the concepts of being abile to do FP up to 1/800th and iTTL remotely.

gotcha. I'm building up my hardware list as well as budget proposal and I'm finding that 5,000 is a bit conservative...lol

Original budget was going to be 10,000.

There's no moving parts in any of those things, so they will usually outlast you by a long time. You could use both and really if in either case, one dies, you will need to purchase another or live with reduced functionality... which I doubt anyone would do.

The Elinchrome transmitter I believe is $103 vs the $180 of the PWs. Its not an amount that would break anyone's bank, to be honest, but it is a significant difference.

I would not look at it in this way, though... purchase based on your needs. If both do the same thing, choose the less expensive one. If one does more than the other, purchase the one that offers you more if it is important to you.

Skyports are about half the price. The Universal set with the transmitter and receiver is about $185. That's the price of one PW. The cost of one transmitters and three receivers is about $400 when all is said in done. My Four PW's were about $800. Now that is a pretty big divide in price points for some people.

The problem with defective units that I have seen or heard about usually come from the misadventures of the photographers. PW's dropped from 6' up, PW's dropped into water, etc... So despite the fact that the units themselves may last forever, the way you treat them can definitely drastically alter their life. And Don't say, oh, I would never treat my equipments that way. Accidents happen.

Totally understand. Thanks. I'll keep doing my research and let you guys know what I decide on. I want to stay away from generic triggers.

can I connect the elinchrom the same way as the pocket wizards? The transceiver connects via hot shoe but I can't seem to see information regarding the receivers.

Make sure you choose the universal receivers. The standard receivers are specific to Elinchrome flash heads.

Look at this setup for an idea:

1X:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...L_19360_EL_Skyport_Universal_Radio_Slave.html
$185

2X:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...L_19352_EL_Skyport_Universal_Radio_Slave.html
$104 X 2 = $208.00

Total $393 + shipping/handling.

That's for three receivers too. The universal kit comes with the transmitter and receiver and the 208 is for two more receivers. That's enough for four flashes.

3 flashes and an on camera transmitter, no? Thats what it looks like to me... one transmitter and one receiver in the first one and 2 more universal receivers in the second one. It is still well under what PWs cost, thats a fact.

What would the PWs do more than these? I could not find a thing, other than the greater range... but who takes pics using strobes that are a thousand feet away anyways... lol

3 flashes and an on camera transmitter, no? Thats what it looks like to me... one transmitter and one receiver in the first one and 2 more universal receivers in the second one. It is still well under what PWs cost, thats a fact.

What would the PWs do more than these? I could not find a thing, other than the greater range... but who takes pics using strobes that are a thousand feet away anyways... lol

Typo. three is correct. PW's are the standard, so you can get things like light meters that will fire them. I think there's another device.

Plus 1600' range vs. 300' range means once that interference and other things become and issue, the PW's should still have a greater range, like say you can't fire the SP's over 75' but you could get 250' out of the PW's

Thanks guys.
If I'm OK with the range of the Elinchroms I think i'm leaning that way. I don't even know where to get them but I didnt want to get cactus triggers. People make those themselves?

Most reactions

Back