Emerald Water

SCraig

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Summer here treats many of the lakes and ponds badly. They will get a heavy scum of green algae on top that makes them look like green pea soup, or in other words just plain nasty. Occasionally, though, one will remain clear and just get a deep green emerald color to it. The lake at Centennial Park was that way today, clear and emerald green, and in places still as a mirror.

2012-07-06-13.jpg

2012-07-06-03.jpg

2012-07-06-20.jpg

Nice set. Pics 1 & 3 are tied for my favorite. We get that Algae scum on most of our local ponds here as well.

Nice set. Pics 1 & 3 are tied for my favorite. We get that Algae scum on most of our local ponds here as well.

Thanks, Joel. I don't like the crop on #2 but I didn't get the whole duck in the shot (stupid!) and a landscape crop looked worse.

Do you get the "Green Scum" this badly?
2009-05-31-07.jpg

This is one of my walking spots but only in the spring, fall, and winter. In the spring I avoid it like the plague. This is a small pond beside the main lake but the main lake gets this bad as well.

Got the same conditions here as well. Look at it this way, it's mother nature not some screw up.

Got the same conditions here as well. Look at it this way, it's mother nature not some screw up.
I guess you're right. It's still nasty looking though.

The place I used to work has ponds all around the buildings. The maintenance guys there worked their tails off all summer long to keep those ponds cleaned out, and they managed to do it. It sure made a difference to.

It's always been my thought the algee was place there for a reason.....feeds all kinds of wee water creatures....love the shots, so clear,

It's always been my thought the algee was place there for a reason.....feeds all kinds of wee water creatures....love the shots, so clear,
It may feed them but it also blocks oxygenation of the water. Oxygen is only dissolved into the water at the surface, and if the surface is blocked no oxygenation can take place.

The main lake doesn't get completely covered, probably 50% overall. I'm not sure how big it is, probably 100 acres or so. The algae tends to move toward the banks, and some of the coves get completely covered. There is a wide band probably 50' wide or so all the way around it, and covering the smaller coves. It really ruins the appearance of it.

How long do you figure the lake's been there?

Number 2 is my favorite the way the water is coming off the bill and how soft the bird look amazing

you fail before sucsess

Very nice set of photographs, what a nice shot excellent lighting and wonderful sharp image. Thanks a lot for sharing !!

How long do you figure the lake's been there?
Since 1914. It's a man-made lake with a spillway at one end that controls the level. It was originally impounded in 1914 by the L&N railroad company to provide water for steam locomotives and for watering livestock at a nearby switching yard, and to serve as a hunting and fishing preserve for the railroad officials and their guests.

Yes, I did have to look up that date ;) The area is named Radnor Lake and it's one of my favorite walking areas except during the summer. It consists of 1200 acres literally surrounded by Nashville (Click Here for Google Maps). There are a lot of photos from the area on This Page of my web site.

Very nice set of photographs, what a nice shot excellent lighting and wonderful sharp image. Thanks a lot for sharing !!

Number 2 is my favorite the way the water is coming off the bill and how soft the bird look amazing

you fail before sucsess

Thank you both. Those photographs were taken at Centennial Park, also in Nashville. This topic has gotten a bit confusing since there are two different lakes being discussed ;)

I like the image of #2 but I dislike the crop. The duck was dipping his head under the water looking for food on the bottom (it's a shallow lake) and each time he came up I shot a couple of frames. This was the best in terms of showing the water cascading off his head but I failed to get the entire duck in the frame when I shot it. This was the best crop I could come up with but I still don't like it.

The lighting was what I first noticed when I walked up. The sun was shining deep into the water giving it that emerald green color, and it was actually really pretty.

LOL. What's up with ducks? Why do people take so many photos of them? Is there something I'm missing out on?

(new PBS program: the joy of photographing ducks)

Most reactions

Back