WHISTLER MAGIC (Warning Graphic Images)

Irishwhistler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Aye Mates,
So Labrador retriever gun dog trainee JACKSON just turned 1 year old. During this past spring and summer, JACKSON was campaigned in AKC licensed hunt tests and he earned his Junior Hunter title at the age of 11 months. Currently, JACKSON is training diligently on the skill sets needed to move on successfully toward earning his AKC Senior Hunter Title and HRC Hunting Retriever Title.

JACKSON made his first trip afield today in working pheasants, the objective being to have our trainee to remain in close proximity to the gunner whilst quartering out front, to use his nose and the wind to locate birds, to sit upon the flush of a bird and to remain steady whilst marking that bird until shot and haven fallen to the ground, and to make retrieve of that bird, classically delivering it into the hand of the trainer / handler.

IMG_1399_Fotor.jpg

Whistler Magic ~ The Dog Whistler (right) is seen working with Labrador Retriever gun dog trainee TTF JACKSON LAD O' CLOONFINISH JH whilst he is on the end o' a check cord (long line), JACKSON just having see a bird released from a remote control launcher and shot by the gunner, Rick (left). Upon flushing the bird, JACKSON is being trained to immediately SIT, and to remain steady in that position until sent by his name as a release command to make the retrieve o' the bird. JACKSON had previously been trained / conditioned to SIT instantly upon hearing a single blast o' me whistle. As the bird takes flight, the trainer blows the whistle and gives the verbal command SIT. The long line / check cord is a back up measure to stop the dog from getting to the fallen bird should the retriever break from his steadied position. JACKSON has also been e-collar conditioned as an extension o' his formalized obedience training. The e-collar can be utilized judiciously to make corrections as deemed necessary by the trainer for the retriever not responding to known commands as previously trained / conditioned.

NOTE the slack in the line betwixt the trainer and JACKSON who is now intensely focused on the last place he saw the bird fall into cover. I am seen here utilizing "delay" before uttering JACKSON, the release command that signals JACKSON to make the retrieve. The slack is indicative that JACKSON is remaining steady as expected, success achieved through prior conditioning o' that desired behavior.

Behavioral science, alchemy, Irish magic ? What is this spell cast upon JACKSON by THE DOG WHISTLER? Simply put, t'is diligence in training, a connection o' trust forged betwixt trainer and trainee, teamwork toward a common goal shared. Planned success based training sets the retriever trainee up to achieve and not to fail.

IMG_1402_Fotor.jpg

Good Dawg ~The shot bird having been found in deep cover by JACKSON, he is seen here making return to meself where he will gently release the bird into me hand after coming to heel at me left side and sitting, he will release the bird upon me issuance o' the command "GIVE".

IMG_1403_Fotor.jpg

Hold ~ I am seen here stroking JACKSON'S head as I issue the command "HOLD" . I resist taking the bird from him immediately and use delay at random intervals, that teaching him that he is expected to hold the bird gently in his mouth until hearing the "GIVE" command, he is then expected to gently release the bird into me hand.

IMG_1410_Fotor.jpg

The Reward ~ Early on as a pup, JACKSON was rewarded for desired behaviors with high frequency delivery o' high value edible reward. Gradually , the frequency o' delivery became more intermittent with me verbal praise and positive physical contact taking the place o' edible reward. Ultimately, the Old Dog Whistler imparts his magic, thus making the retrieve itself becoming a self sustaining high value reward that keeps our trainee a driven and simultaneously most happy working dog. I can be seen here softly stroking JACKSON'S head as a reward for his positive execution o' the behavior desired - the completed retrieve.

These marvelous retrievers that I am so blessed to work with are a true passion for me. Taking a wee pup from a bundle o' mischievous fur to a highly trained gun dog o' distinction is much like an artist taking a blank canvas and painting a masterpiece. The bond I achieve with each o' these most special dogs is treasured beyond what words might adequately express.

JACKSON has a long way to go before becoming the highly trained gun dog that I know he has the potential to be. We train diligently and regularly and he is well on his way on his journey to excellence.

Photo's in this thread were taken by JACKSON'S owner, Deb.

Cheers,
THE DOG WHISTLER ☘️

Most reactions

Back