Emotional Connection: Loving your subject vs. Losing subjectivity?

No eye contact = automatic fail. No bare breasts = automatic fail. All subjects must be on rule of thirds intersections. All landscapes MUST be horizontal. All portraits must be shot vertical. Only older,white men can shoot good professional grade photos. Film photos are better than digital photos. Nikon is better than Canon. Leica pictures have "that Leica look". Kodachrome was the best color slide film ever. Light from ProFoto strobes is better than that from other brands. European enlarging paper is better than American-made paper. German lenses are better than Japanese lenses. Pictures shot hand-held are inferior to those made tripod-mounted. Newbies never produce any work that's any good. If she's a mom and has a camera, she's an MWAC.

I have heard all of these nonsensical theories put forth,at one time or another. Some are funny, while others are downright offensive.

The fact is, when you photograph things, YOU, the photographer, make choices about what to include, and what to exclude. Normally, people have at least 'some' connection to their subject matter, at least if they are allowed to choose what they photograph, and are not simply given assignments by an editor or boss. And even on assigned stories, you have to decide where to stand, what lens to use, what to aim at, what to avoid aiming at, and when to press the shutter button. I believe this is called the Heisenberg Principle.

"Every photograph is a little bit of a lie." ~ Me

Whats with your constant harping about "Older WHITE men"? lol! Sounds like you have some issues or something! lol! Or is that aimed at someone in particular?

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back