Emotional support animals & airplanes

Aye and its clear that with no formal certification there's probably a lot of emotional support animals which are only emotional support animals when the owner encounters a "no dog/pet" sign on a building or other place. Which casts a bad light on those who are legitimate.

That said, again, they are emotional support rather than guide dogs; in theory the owner should be able to operate without them -barring all but the most extreme of cases (which should be very few).

think that's bad?
I know people who have cats and dogs - in the same house living with them!!

Cats and dogs (if properly house broken) don't normally poop wherever/wherever they please, like chickens. Needless to say if I went to this woman's house, I wouldn't sit on the furniture.

I had the opportunity to visit with a Vet with a brain stem injury that caused him to suddenly fall without warning. His service dog was trained to stay very close to the man at all times, and could sense by smell and actions ahead of episodes. On sensing the dog would alert, stop the man and push him to a safe spot. Beautiful dog who was not agressive, but would ignore any attempts to be friendly, or anything else around.

I had the opportunity to visit with a Vet with a brain stem injury that caused him to suddenly fall without warning. His service dog was trained to stay very close to the man at all times, and could sense by smell and actions ahead of episodes. On sensing the dog would alert, stop the man and push him to a safe spot. Beautiful dog who was not agressive, but would ignore any attempts to be friendly, or anything else around.
As part of my support to Veterans, I do work with Vancouver Island Compassion Dogs. These are fully accredited service dogs primarily in support of Veterans with PTSD and other serious issues. They are amazing; on the job, they're 100% serious and focused, but take the vest off and they turn back in to a dog in nothing flat!

but take the vest off and they turn back in to a dog in nothing flat!

I didn't know that. Guess they would have to be allowed down time. Worked with the State Fire Marshal a few times that had a dog trained to find accelerants . His reward was a plain red ball. Always felt like he was getting shafted, but the dog thought that ball was the greatest reward in the world.

but take the vest off and they turn back in to a dog in nothing flat!

I didn't know that. Guess they would have to be allowed down time. Worked with the State Fire Marshal a few times that had a dog trained to find accelerants . His reward was a plain red ball. Always felt like he was getting shafted, but the dog thought that ball was the greatest reward in the world.
There are two members of the Wounded Warriors Run team with service dogs. When they're dressed they're like bankers toward each other. "Morning Chico"... "Morning Sarge..." and they carry on with their humans. Take their vests off and tell them to go play, you'd think they were totally untrained puppies! :lol:

FB_IMG_1495114146058.jpg

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I wanted to fly to Mexico and take my wife as an emotional support animal. But if it didn't work for the peacock, I guess I don't stand a chance. She'd want to take luggage.

How about a physical support snake? Sucker's been dead for a few years and is stiff as a long, skinny board; I use it for a cane.

Apparently in Colorado it is common to have your support animal with you everywhere.

Even shellfish are gonna try to mussel in on the action

I believe they are called a Therapy Animal. I additionally believe there is no certification to be a therapy animal. So technically a peacock or a slug can be a therapy animal. Service Dogs go through specialized training and receive, upon graduation, a certificate from an accredited dog training facility. I saw a tiny little lapdog in a wine tasting room with a "Service" vest on. I had my dog with me but we stayed at a table outside. When the Service dog passed Maggie, (my pooch), it started acting up and wanted to play. Every Service Dog I've ever encountered, when working was completely focused on the task at hand and totally ignored other dogs and cats and peacocks to give full attention to their job. Go figure.

You're going to make me break it out a second time in the same thread, aren't you? AREN'T YOU???

5momn_s-200x150-gif.153267

Apparently in Colorado it is common to have your support animal with you everywhere.

I saw a bit on the news a few years back where they were running trials to use miniature horses as proper service/guide animals. The 25-30 or so lifespan being a big bonus over dogs who live half to a third of that period of time; plus with the strict requirements having another breed of animal means enlarging the potential pool of candidates.

I see "service animal" vests and patches for sale on eBay.

But, of course no pet owner would ever think of using such a thing falsely. :cool-98:

I saw a bit on the news a few years back where they were running trials to use miniature horses as proper service/guide animals. The 25-30 or so lifespan being a big bonus over dogs who live half to a third of that period of time; plus with the strict requirements having another breed of animal means enlarging the potential pool of candidates.

... A horse is nuthin' more than a big dog.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back