Empty photo?

MissCream

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I uploaded the pictures I did at my sister in laws wedding to Lightroom, I did some slight editing before I exported them to PS. In PS I edited then saved them (they get send to my Lightroom exports folder on my desktop). I did this for all of the pictures but now when I go into the folder and click on the thumbnail to review the picture is says that it can't be opened and that the file is empty! This happened to about half my pictures (about 100), does anyone know what happened so I can avoid it in the future??? I'm peeeesed.

Did you export them from Lightroom (to a specific location), then open them in Photoshop? Or did you use the 'Edit in...' from Lightroom?

If you did the latter, it should take you back to LR when you hit save. And then from there, did you export to your 'exports' folder? If so, just export them again (check your settings) and see what you get.

You probably moved some files using windows explorer instead of using the lightroom?

You probably moved some files using windows explorer instead of using the lightroom?

On a Mac :p

Did you export them from Lightroom (to a specific location), then open them in Photoshop? Or did you use the 'Edit in...' from Lightroom?

If you did the latter, it should take you back to LR when you hit save. And then from there, did you export to your 'exports' folder? If so, just export them again (check your settings) and see what you get.

I exported them and had the option set to "open in CS4" after export. I'll try exporting them again to see what happens but I am mad at my Mac right now lol so it will have to wait a second.

You dont export it to PS. Just right click the image on lightroom and click edit in PS. It will automatically open it on PS (with LR3 adjustments if you choose that option). When you click save, it will automatically add a TIFF file to your library. Do not use the export function to edit it in PS.

You dont export it to PS. Just right click the image on lightroom and click edit in PS. It will automatically open it on PS (with LR3 adjustments if you choose that option). When you click save, it will automatically add a TIFF file to your library. Do not use the export function to edit it in PS.

Okay, thanks! Is it okay if I export all the one's I've edited in LR and then open it in PS4? It's weird I have never had a problem doing it that way before today :(

It is ok but then it will not show up on LR3 which totally defeat the purpose of file management system.

See this is what I don't understand if your doing a batch edit from lightroom which I normally do. I do my minor adjustments to a set of say 20 pics then I export (ok maybe thats the wrong word) the whole lot for editting and I generally right click edit in CS5 etc is that wrong? Or are you saying the exact thing I do?

Yes, thats what you do Dee.

Some people do the LR3 processing then went to export to jpeg then open it on PS. Usually export is your LAST step.

Ok I just wanted to be sure that you and I were talking the same speak and I have only had one.5 cups of coffee so my brains not working.

I think that a lot of people still do it 'that way' (quick run through LR, then export, then open & edit in Photoshop).

This is probably because that is closer to the workflow that they are used to (from before LR). And of course, there are plenty of things that you can do in Photoshop, that you can't do in LR...so it makes sense that you would first use LR, then finish the photos off with Photoshop.

But, as Schwetty points out, that worflow misses out on some great parts of LR. (exporting final images, printing, etc.)

As an alternative workflow is to keep the images in LR...or at least, when you need to edit them in Photoshop, just use the 'Edit in...' command. Then the image is taken into Photoshop (or whatever program you choose), and when you hit save, the image is brought back into LR as a TIFF.

Most reactions

Back