Enchanted Forest (from back in my Weston days)

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Still sitting here trying to pull decent photos from old unprintable negatives. This one is built from 3 separate scans and I think it's the best I've ever managed from this neg.

Joe

enchanted_forest_zps332a2940.jpg

Looks pretty spiffy on-screen. I'd like to see a little bit of dodging on the part of the cliff that lies below the old missing limb scar on the tree, but other than that, no real complaints. I can only imagine what the neg might look like..that scene probably had at least 15,16,17 EV diff between the highlights and the shadows! I'm diggin' those ferns in the lower right corner. And I absolutely love the counter-point that the small,slender waterfall off to the left brings to the shot. Pretty sweet scene.

Really a nice one. Leaves much to the imagination.

For my taste, I'd like to see the background shrubbery burned just a bit. Because it's so bright, my eye goes there.

Really a nice one. Leaves much to the imagination.

For my taste, I'd like to see the background shrubbery burned just a bit. Because it's so bright, my eye goes there.

Thanks -- glad you like it. I'll try that and burn down the backround; see how it looks.

Joe

Looks pretty spiffy on-screen. I'd like to see a little bit of dodging on the part of the cliff that lies below the old missing limb scar on the tree, but other than that, no real complaints. I can only imagine what the neg might look like..that scene probably had at least 15,16,17 EV diff between the highlights and the shadows! I'm diggin' those ferns in the lower right corner. And I absolutely love the counter-point that the small,slender waterfall off to the left brings to the shot. Pretty sweet scene.

You're killing me Derrel; yeah that section of cliff right center is weak -- I think I squeezed everything out of that neg that there is to squeeze -- maybe four scans. The photo was taken on a trip to the Delaware Water Gap region back in the early 80s. I didn't have enough sense back then to walk away from something like this and sure enough that neg never yielded a darkroom print. No way could I burn in that water all over the place. I'd start with multi-contrast paper and print in the cliff with a #4 filter. Then I'd switch to a #1 filter and start burning down the water but I'd always lose it in the end and no way was I going to make two of them the same.

I've tried multiple scans in the past but never had the skill to pull it off; I'm finally gettin' the hang of this Photoshop thing though; glad I didn't cut up the neg in frustration.

Joe

Most reactions

Back