What's new

Talent vs Skills — where’s the magic coming from?

(The topic already exists, but I don't want to get an angry DM from a moderator again, for bumping an old one.)

Ever notice how, after putting hours into a photo — planning, buying gear, traveling, shooting, editing, tweaking every pixel — someone says, “Wow, you’re so talented!”
And somehow, it doesn’t really feel like a compliment?
It’s like all that effort, all those years of trial and error, just got taken for granted.
Because “talent” sounds like magic dust you were born with — not something you built.

But here’s the thing: if someone’s truly born with talent, why would they even need praise? You don’t compliment a bird for flying, right?

I’ve always felt it’s more of a combo — a spark of talent maybe, but a mountain of skill, patience, and persistence that actually makes the work happen.

And funny enough, that’s also where imposter syndrome sneaks in for many. You know that little voice whispering, “You’re not really talented, you just got lucky”? Yeah, that one.
But... as with photography in general — everyone can point their phone at a sunrise and get a decent shot. The magic is already happening in front of you.
If you hear someone say: “Woah! How did you do that?”... and you feel you didn’t do anything at all, it’s the nature in front of the lens that did all the work, you just pressed a button on a phone.

Ok yeah, sometimes, turning that into something that actually moves people? That takes vision, timing, editing, technical skill, a bit of your own soul poured in, and resources like an online Quran academy for learning and inspiration.
Maybe the truth is that talent gives you a starting line — but skill, sweat, and stubbornness get you to the finish.

Curious how you all see it. When someone calls your work “talented,” does it feel flattering or kinda dismissive?
I get what you mean. When someone calls my work “talented,” it can feel flattering but also a bit dismissive, because it ignores all the hours of practice, mistakes, and persistence behind it. Talent might give a spark, but skill, patience, and hard work are what truly make the work happen. Imposter syndrome makes it worse, since you’re so aware of the effort behind the scenes. For me, I try to take it as encouragement while remembering it’s the grind and dedication that actually create the results.
 
I get what you mean. When someone calls my work “talented,” it can feel flattering but also a bit dismissive, because it ignores all the hours of practice, mistakes, and persistence behind it. Talent might give a spark, but skill, patience, and hard work are what truly make the work happen. Imposter syndrome makes it worse, since you’re so aware of the effort behind the scenes. For me, I try to take it as encouragement while remembering it’s the grind and dedication that actually create the results.
Just say "thank you, I appreciate that" if someone calls you talented.
 
The thing some people say that really cracks me up is "that camera really takes good pictures". I tell them "I taught it everything it knows". lol
 
Talent can 100% be learned. It’s passion that can’t be.

Talent = passion + practice.

I’ve tried explaining to people who say “oh you have a great eye, I wish I could do that” that it’s not a natural talent- it’s practice, it’s patience, it’s trial and error, it’s muscle memory, it’s learning from your mistakes, it’s looking at thousands of photos to identify what I like about them and then taking 100,000 photos over the past 20 years. It’s being willing to get up at 3am to get that sunrise or go out on a 18° windy night to capture the northern lights or miss dinner because the sunset forecast is fire. It’s hard work.
 
... and then taking 100,000 photos over the past 20 years.
That's one photo every 2 hours.
;-)

Yes, you're right about passion, and dedication.

Many thanks for sharing all your insights people, really eased my mind to know how others think about that or deal with it. :)
 
Talent can 100% be learned. It’s passion that can’t be.

Talent = passion + practice.

I’ve tried explaining to people who say “oh you have a great eye, I wish I could do that” that it’s not a natural talent- it’s practice, it’s patience, it’s trial and error, it’s muscle memory, it’s learning from your mistakes, it’s looking at thousands of photos to identify what I like about them and then taking 100,000 photos over the past 20 years. It’s being willing to get up at 3am to get that sunrise or go out on a 18° windy night to capture the northern lights or miss dinner because the sunset forecast is fire. It’s hard work.
I used to play the clarinet. Benny Goodman also played the clarinet. I should have practiced more.
 
I used to play the clarinet. Benny Goodman also played the clarinet. I should have practiced more.
Yup, you can learn much by practice, but without talent you won't excel.
 
I like when people acknowledge one of my pics.

If the compliment comes from someone with no photographic knowledge I say thank you. If the compliment comes from a prize winning photographer I say thanks very much.

If the compliment comes from my wife, I say who are you and what have you done with my wife.

The best photos I have taken are based on how long it took me to get the pic. I spent a whole summer trying to get a macro shot of a European Hornet. Over the whole summer I managed to get one single Hornet image that I was happy with. That image finished 28th out of 75 in a competition and a quick snap of a Emerald Damselfly that I took while looking for Hornets won it.

My skill and passion got me the pic but recognition of any image I take and choose to share is entirely in the eye of the beholder. I know what I want and every time I lift a camera to my eye I get better at getting what I want but that does not mean anything to the viewer.

CHEERS
JBO
 
a quick snap of a Emerald Damselfly that I took while looking for Hornets won it.
So throw opportunity into the mix....Skill = passion + practice + talent + opportunity
 
I like when people acknowledge one of my pics.

If the compliment comes from someone with no photographic knowledge I say thank you. If the compliment comes from a prize winning photographer I say thanks very much.

If the compliment comes from my wife, I say who are you and what have you done with my wife.

The best photos I have taken are based on how long it took me to get the pic. I spent a whole summer trying to get a macro shot of a European Hornet. Over the whole summer I managed to get one single Hornet image that I was happy with. That image finished 28th out of 75 in a competition and a quick snap of a Emerald Damselfly that I took while looking for Hornets won it.

My skill and passion got me the pic but recognition of any image I take and choose to share is entirely in the eye of the beholder. I know what I want and every time I lift a camera to my eye I get better at getting what I want but that does not mean anything to the viewer.

CHEERS
JBO
That's extremely important, that what the viewer sees is all that counts. Many photographers blame poor results on circumstances like it was raining, their tripod broke, who knew there was a telephone pole there. etc. The viewer doesn;t care how hard we work or the reasons a photo fails. They look at a picture and with two seconds know whether they think it;s great or not. No excuses.

By the way, have you found your wife? :chuncky:
 
By the way, have you found your wife? :chuncky:
In the 32 years we have been married she has never complimented any of my photographs so I guess she is still the original or the aliens who abducted her did a good job of cloning.

CHEERS
JBO
 
In the 32 years we have been married she has never complimented any of my photographs so I guess she is still the original or the aliens who abducted her did a good job of cloning.

CHEERS
JBO
Every picture I take that I show my wife, the comment is the same: "It's too dark."
 
So throw opportunity into the mix....Skill = passion + practice + talent + opportunity
Nature photography is all opportunity. The skill is in recognising the opportunity and being able to get the settings right in the three seconds before the Dragonfly moves away.

CHEERS
JBO
 
In the 32 years we have been married she has never complimented any of my photographs so I guess she is still the original or the aliens who abducted her did a good job of cloning.

CHEERS
JBO
When we moved, I no longer get any more wall space for my pictures. Just one small room. She said she's looked at them enough in our last place. :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom