End of job bonus

Forkie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.ianforknall.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was sent to some place called "The North" this week on a week long product shooting trip - the second this year already (not fun). However, excellently, I finished the job a whole 2 days early (excepting Friday, which I will spend driving the 5 hours home :( )!

So, I made the executive decision that since my hire car and hotel have already been booked and paid for until Friday, leaving a day early would not be cost efficient. Therefore, knowing how much I hate economic inefficiency and for the benefit of the company, I elected not to tell my boss I'd finished and set about exploring the North East of England.

Do you know what? They put on a pretty good show! The weather was a frankly, inexplicable 17 degrees Celsius and sunny and they have a bloody good shoreline too.

I've been a member of this forum for a while now, but have never put any photos up for C&C. This is because I generally like my pictures the way they are. This goes for these as well. So, I just wanted to know what people would do differently even though I already like them the way they are.

F/16
1/160
18mm (cropped sensor)
ISO 200
WB: Tungsten
Cropped to 16:9 in PS because I can't shake the phase I'm going through and because it suited the featureless horizon line. Also, the lens distortion is faux distortion.

I wanted a sort of "isolated" feel in this shot which is why I went for Tungsten white balance. The blueness always makes me feel isolated. Although, I think there may be one or two too many rocks for total isolation, so just a little bit isolated had to do.

Untitled by Forkie, on Flickr

F/5.3
1/1250
75mm (cropped sensor)
ISO 200

The idea behind this one was pure cliché. I was on a beach with light coloured, perfectly smooth pebbles of various sizes. What else is a photographer to do?

Untitled by Forkie, on Flickr

Ok. Give it to me.

Last edited:
I'm not going to give you a critique right now, it's late, but I'd like to let you know that I literally lol'd when I read that you went to "some place called "The North"". That's one of the best things I've read here ever!

I used to live in the North East but I'm currently in the North West. Just so you know, if I were to go anywhere south of here I'd probably call it "Down South" wherever I might be going! Isn't that fun?

Thanks for the fun post!

I really like the North :), particularly the North East. It's incredible how friendly human beings can be when they don't live all cramped together in cities!!

Just yesterday when I was out taking these shots, 3 people said good morning/afternoon to me. I've lived in London for 3.5 years now and never had even that many in all that time say good morning.

I really like the North :), particularly the North East. It's incredible how friendly human beings can be when they don't live all cramped together in cities!!

Just yesterday when I was out taking these shots, 3 people said good morning/afternoon to me. I've lived in London for 3.5 years now and never had even that many in all that time say good morning.

I was in London 2 month ago and walking the dog on Clapham Common in just a tee shirt i think they thought i was nuts because they had hats and scarf and thick coats and i said good morning to everyone and i didn't get one reply miserable bastards, you should come to the Peak District if you want beautiful countryside

Is this what you did for work?

The first shot has distortion and you can see the horizon curving unnaturally. Second shot is over exposed.

Is this what you did for work?

The first shot has distortion and you can see the horizon curving unnaturally.

No. If you read the prologue you'll see that I did this after work because I finished early and that the distortion is false and intentional.

Second shot is over exposed.

Really? I was concerned that it was slightly under exposed.

I can't see the second shot as overexposed as in all parts all details of the bottom rock are still to be seen.
Nice idea and focus, that one made me smile. Saw the other in the "Blue"-theme over in the Photo Themes before.
Can't say much about how people are in "The North" or "Down South", I enjoyed the chance to be either "up there" (May 2010) or "down there" (May 2011) for what I could see, what my camera could see ... both was good.

I think I would have tried #1 without the horizon while still including as much sea as possible. The horizon brings me to reality but with this interesting array of water and rock and the abnormal coloring, I want it to be more abstract.

I like #2... the exposure looks... *clears throat*.... rock solid. My eye isn't comfortable with the off-center framing. The rocks are very much symmetrical, but are on the right side of the image with nothing on the left side to counter-balance. I probably would have done a centered portrait B&W, leaving everything else the same. It does give a feeling of "I'm missing something that I should be seeing". Perhaps that is something you intended to communicate?

Just my opinions. I completely understand not wanting to post for C&C though. I'm getting more to the point where I really like some of my photos and I just don't care to hear from people that don't like them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back