Something i wanted to point out.

Screenshot_20200706-220225_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200706-220225_Chrome.jpg

Arney Freytag was a master photographer. He was fantastic with lighting. I recall one BTS shot he did which showed the 19 lights he used for one centerfold shot...he used a lot of lights.

A lot of 1980's working methods have changed. But 4-color books still use 180- to 220- line screens for halftones....even the very highest-quality books need fairly low megapixel counts to make good reproductions.

The use of medium format digital is more about shallow DOF and a particular "look" than either bit depth or MP count.
I know all about Arney Freytag , and how he did things he used some times 30 lights, by the way he was the one who did all the centerfolds, no one else, they was quite a few us doing playboy shoots,
but Arney Freytag was the only one doing the centerfold shots, he was a nice guy too, he was actually a painter then decided he liked photography, started doing street photography in Chicago, that is where he was from, And then the rest is history.
The GFX 100 is really not true 16 bit, or should i correct myself not True 16 Bit full Raw, full Medium format,
And my real point is that camera is really not to be trusted for serious photography for work that matters.

What cameras are the Playboy crew using these days?

What cameras are the Playboy crew using these days?

No Idea, i was no longer doing anything for them after 2003, i believe around 2005 they switched to digital and stopped doing the 8X10 to shoot the centerfold, and just took a digital shot and blew it up.
I have no idea what digital Camera's they used.

Today they are not using anything Playboy doesn't exist except for Playboy Plus, which is not managed or owned by original playboy enterprise.
I believe it was sold in 2017 when hugh hefner died to Rizvi Traverse Management, they was in partnership with Hefner for some time, until he died then Rizvi Traverse Management took over playboy completely.
as of march playboy no longer prints the magazines, it's all Digital online.
I have no Idea what Rizvi Traverse Management uses to create the digital images and video.
Most magazine companies now do not have photographers working exclusively for them any more, it's all hired freelance.
except for Vogue i believe they have a couple of exclusive photographers and also use freelance.
Maxim is all Freelance now, where back in 2002 it was mostly their specific exclusive photographers that was on the payroll.

Not sure how it is with rolling stones, but i know back in the 80's they was quite a few of them and i know that annie leibovitz, was one of their go to main photographers.

I know annie leibovitz use to use Medium format film most of the time, and the last time i saw her was about 4 years ago and she had a Hasselblad H5 in her hands, So i assumed she stuck with Medium format but in digital format.

Now the H6 is out i'm willing to bet that is what she is using, because of how much better the H6 is vs the H5 not to mention she can afford to pick a hand full of them camera's
without a problem, she is a total millionaire, she had made millions, with her work, especially that John Lennon Picture
that was plastered all over the place. and is now in art museums along with many of her other work.
I believe now she is teaching Master Classes around the world.
I have to admit she deserves all she earned she was amazing.

I don't do Photography as much any more, i'm now doing cinematography, as a freelance for a few companies, some i work with them, some i do it alone, i done ton of music videos.

also Some cinematography crews that do some series that is picked up by Netfix, and i also work on my own shooting models on video alot like playboy did.

I use a RED weapon with both a DSMC PL Mount and also
a DSMC S35 AL Canon Mount.

i can shoot up to 8K 60 fps with that camera, but it's an expensive way to go, not only because of the equipment cost, but also media it uses, The red mini mag media card for just a tad under 1TB cost over $2,000.00
and when your shooting 8K 60 fps 1 TB of media fills up on that card pretty fast.

Last edited:
The GFX 100 is really not true 16 bit,
Yes it is and you are obviously wrong. Reference: Fujifilm GFX 100 review
or should i correct myself
Heaven forbid.
not True 16 Bit full Raw,
Yes it is and you are obviously wrong -- see reference above.

And let's recall what you originally said: "Becuase the GFX100 even tho it's a cropped Medium Format it only produces 8 bit colors,..." That's not just wrong that's clueless nonsense.

Joe
full Medium format,
And my real point is that camera is really not to be trusted for serious photography for work that matters.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back