End the Canon/Nikon debate once and for all??? (Part 1)

Canon, Nikon, or film??

• Total voters

Sharkbait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitesharkphoto.com
A'right, maybe I'm tired and cranky this morning, maybe I'm just turning into a grumpy old man, but the whole Canon versus Nikon debate has grown quite old to me.

So to those of you who espouse one platform over the other, here's your big chance. I'm throwing down the gauntlet--put your money where your mouth is and tell me if this photo was shot with a Nikon D70, a Canon 20d, or my buddy's film SLR??

I shoot some of the local hockey games for our USHL affiliate team, and often trade cameras with one of the other team photographers. One camera is the d70, the other is the 20d. Or maybe it's not, and this is a print from my buddy's film camera that's been scanned at 600dpi... I will tell you that there is no photoshop work done to this other than a slight levels balance to get the whites right and add the border/copyright.

I'll leave the poll open for a week or so and then come back with the answer.

_MG_2724_edited_RS.jpg

I would say D70, but its also a very clear consice shot where I feel thats where Nikon sometimes lacks, so 20D for me! :)

I don't think there is any way to compare with this small of an example. I would want to compare full sized files and prints. Any of the cameras/mediums mentioned do an excellent job if all that is required is a web friendly file.

The area of a print where I feel that I can usually spot a digital capture vs. a film capture is in the highlights. Once I scan film to a file, I've noticed that those images can have the same look to the highlights.

Shark said:
So to those of you who espouse one platform over the other, here's your big chance. I'm throwing down the gauntlet--put your money where your mouth is and tell me if this photo was shot with a Nikon D70, a Canon 20d, or my buddy's film SLR??

If your point is that there is very little difference between the three as far as most folks are concerned, I would have to agree.

As Matt mentioned in his post, you wouldn't be able to tell from the picture posted. But really, does any one really care? Shoot with what you have and be happy! :)

Walt said:
As Matt mentioned in his post, you wouldn't be able to tell from the picture posted. But really, does any one really care? Shoot with what you have and be happy! :)

That's Shark's point.

ksmattfish said:
Shark said:

If your point is that there is very little difference between the three as far as most folks are concerned, I would have to agree.

Exactly! :D :thumbsup:

Most reactions

Back