Fujifilm or Nikon, mirrorless or dslr?

Mirrorless or dslr?

• Dslr

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Mirrorless

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
Not voting because my needs and my view can be different then others.

Lets start by saying I own mirrorless and DSLR, I know the pro and con of both systems and I want to be aware of few things

First Fuji is ONLY APS-C, if in future you will want to go full frame you are then stuck in a system that doesn't have it!!!
This is VERY important if you commit to a Fuji system.
I know few guy, who told me they will NEVER buy FF sensor camera, they are perfectly happy with APS-C cameras and today they either own a FF or in process of buying FF camera so even if you sure you are fine with crop sensor you might change your mind, also working pro in events FF sensor is a HUGE advantage (APS-C can be fine but FF is a definite advantage).
Auto focus of mirrorless is in most cases (Sony A9 might be different) not as good DSLR they will tend to hunt or loose total focus in low light or low contrast. In non professional scenario it might be ok but in weddings and events where speed is key I think mirrorless is not as a good tool as DSLR.
Buying a camera considering its value retention is silly, don't buy a camera thinking how well it will keep value, buy the camera that is right for you and you can afford. Any camera you will get within 2 years will be old and in 3 to 4 years almost totally obsolete.
Fuji makes great cameras and so does Nikon.
Only reason to buy a D500 is for its auto focus system, if not then the D7500 is almost as good for non pro work (its missing second SD card to be ok for pro work).
Honestly I was in APS-C and I still have 2 APS-C cameras and I have 2 FF cameras, if you can afford it get FF but that's just my view.

Theres no point in this poll.

Your images wont show what viewfinder you used, and both OVF and EVF allow to make good photos.

I think you did a good job on researching what you need in selecting the XT2 and the 35mm lens. I think most of the points you listed can be addressed with the Fuji.

I think you did a good job on researching what you need in selecting the XT2 and the 35mm lens. I think most of the points you listed can be addressed with the Fuji.
Except being full frame, as good as it is it cant be full frame ;)

The answer is simple. Get what you want and what is comfortable for you.

I personally prefer to use DSLRs because of the size, it's just more comfortable for me.

There is truth to this but I'd also say only about 10% of photography enthusiast want or need fullframe. I pulled that number from the sky kind of, but with about 40 in my local camera club I can think of 4 that have fullframe cams

There is truth to this but I'd also say only about 10% of photography enthusiast want or need fullframe. I pulled that number from the sky kind of, but with about 40 in my local camera club I can think of 4 that have fullframe cams
This is not about numbers or statistics, most photographers I know in my area have full frame cameras but I that's not the point.
The point is about when a Fuji user see himself in a month, a year or 5 years from now.
Its a simple fact that as we know now Fuji is not a part of the FF game, this is important, if APS-C is all user will ever use then Fuji is a great option, if user will want one day to move the FF then the user should consider Canon, Nikon or Sony.

I am a former pro during the film only days. With digital, I started with APS-C (20D), then moved FF (1Ds) then I moved to MFT (EM1s) and now I evolved back to APS-C (XP2/XT2). I still have my FF and MFT systems, but I prefer the Fuji camera and lenses. I found that for what I shoot and how I shoot, the APS-C is a good compromise between the IQ of FF and the small footprint of MFT. Fuji is expensive, but you get what you pay for. External controls are expensive to implement, but they are fast and wonderful. All metal lenses with aperture rings are expensive and Fuji XF lenses are, at a minimum, equal to my Canon 'L' lenses. Fujifilm supports their photographer and the company is constantly upgrading the firmware. Fujifilm even upgraded the firmware for an out-of-production camera. I tend to shoot people ... people doing this and that in their environment ... lots and lots of low light stuff. I don't have a problem with what Fuji offers. The in-body-stabilization of my Oly cameras is amazing ... but Fuji is my choice. The EVF of Fuji has practically eliminated the need for a light-meter or to meter.

If you are reasonably serious about photography, you need to harmonize with your equipment. You need to shoot enough that you can change your settings while still looking through the viewfinder. Shoot until the lenses are an extension of your eyes and the camera an extension of your hands ...

Honestly, the D500 is a great camera and you'll be able to capture all that you desire ... but then again so is the XT2. The difference between the XT2 and the D500 is the operator's skill and experience.

Last edited:

This is not about numbers or statistics, most photographers I know in my area have full frame cameras but I that's not the point.
The point is about when a Fuji user see himself in a month, a year or 5 years from now.
Its a simple fact that as we know now Fuji is not a part of the FF game, this is important, if APS-C is all user will ever use then Fuji is a great option, if user will want one day to move the FF then the user should consider Canon, Nikon or Sony.

Except being MF, as good as they are they can't be MF. Its a simple fact that as we know now Canon, Nikon and Sony are not a part of the MF game, this is important, if FF is all user will ever use then Canon, Nikon or Sony are great options, if user will want one day to move to MF then the user should consider Fuji.

Joe

I will (hopefully someday) go SLR and APS-C. Because I can get such a camera used and cheap. And because it will be so much like my Canon 35mm EOS650.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back