What's new

Eneloop charge times.

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 21, 2011
Messages
4,280
Reaction score
949
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My eneloops seems to take forever to fully charge from a full depletion. Maybe 6+ hours. Is that normal?

How fast do your eneloops charge?
 
This has more to do with your charger than the batteries themselves. Which one are you using?
 
With rechargable batteries the slower the recharge the better it is for the lifespan of the battery, fast rechargings quickly deteriorate the longevity of the batteries being charged. A 6 hour recharge sounds like a good amount of time, though there are stats out there for ideal recharge times based upon the capacity of the battery.

However if the recharging unit is one that has no customisable recharging settings and states that its a 30min/1hour recharging cycle then it would sound like the unit is faulty and I wouldn't continue using it. If this is the case then I'd also suggest looking for a good quality recharging unit like those sold by Powerrex/Maha
 
This is the eneloop system I have been using. SECMQN064 Sanyo Eneloop AA Rechargeable NiMH Batteries with Charger (4 Pack)

I bought it for the reviews and I like the batteries, but I find the recharger to be a bit slow. For that matter, I also have some Energizer NIMH rechargable batteries and I think I've gone through 2 or 3 rechargers which just seem to die at some point and no longer charge them. Is that normal?

I just looked up the Energizer unit I own and it says 8.5 hours recharge time.

Sounds really slow but if that's normal, I guess I'm okay with that.
 
I have the same charger with AA batteries. The information sheet that came with it says the charge times are 10 Hrs for AA and 7 Hrs for AAA.
 
4 AAs usually take under 2 hours for my eneloops :).
 
With rechargable batteries the slower the recharge the better it is for the lifespan of the battery, fast rechargings quickly deteriorate the longevity of the batteries being charged. A 6 hour recharge sounds like a good amount of time,


:thumbup:

The more current you jam into a cell to recharge it faster, the more heat is generated, which is very bad for them. Longer "trickle" charges are best.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom