Engagement set - East TX

Schwettylens said:
James, try not to be too posey next time. Sometimes I like to tell them to go to a certain spot and do their thing unposed. I am a fan of #2. Take some shot of her with her eyes closed too so it doesnt feel as posed and you can feel the connection between them.

Great advice. I'm still pretty new to the non-posed techniques. Thanks!

Kerbouchard, your snapshots must be a lot nicer than mine if you call any of these shots "snapshots"... maybe you should calibrate your monitor :lol:

My monitor is calibrated, and yes, since you asked, my throwaways are nicer than these. I was being generous when I referred to them as snapshots.

Actually, before I hit the backspace key, I had said that I hope they get a chance to see these before the wedding. That would give them an opportunity to choose another photographer. You just aren't ready. With the gear you have, you should be producing better results. Just my opinion.

My parents and inlaws are in Lufkin...let me know the day of the shoot...I might be able to help you out.
Ouch!

Especially seeing as how I've posted only 6 of the 32 images I'm going to deliver, and the first shots posted are practically SOOC!

The SFA Campus is an ideal location for something like this. With the ones you posted, I assumed these were the best from the day...not that there were 26 others that may have captured some of those locations. If the other 26 are something special, I apologize for the snap judgement.

Kerbouchard said:
The SFA Campus is an ideal location for something like this. With the ones you posted, I assumed these were the best from the day...not that there were 26 others that may have captured some of those locations. If the other 26 are something special, I apologize for the snap judgement.

I posted the first group of keepers from the session. I haven't even processed most of them yet. If it would be easier for the forum to CC them after they are completed, delivered images, then I'll hold future posts until that point. And, I'll be sure to post the best from this session once they're done.

I'd hate for anyone to waste a snappy insult on an image(s) that wasn't done yet. ;-)

Apology accepted.

James, dont post SOOC shots even on a forum before your clients see them. Search engine acts in a mysterious way. Future clients may see your work on here so you certainly dont want them to see SOOC stuff. There are times when photos look amazing SOOC. That is an exception :).

Schwettylens said:
James, dont post SOOC shots even on a forum before your clients see them. Search engine acts in a mysterious way. Future clients may see your work on here so you certainly dont want them to see SOOC stuff. There are times when photos look amazing SOOC. That is an exception :).

Good point, Robin. I do all my own SEO, so I definitely should have known better.

Kerbouchard, your snapshots must be a lot nicer than mine if you call any of these shots "snapshots"... maybe you should calibrate your monitor :lol:

My monitor is calibrated, and yes, since you asked, my throwaways are nicer than these. I was being generous when I referred to them as snapshots.

Actually, before I hit the backspace key, I had said that I hope they get a chance to see these before the wedding. That would give them an opportunity to choose another photographer. You just aren't ready. With the gear you have, you should be producing better results. Just my opinion.

My parents and inlaws are in Lufkin...let me know the day of the shoot...I might be able to help you out.

Ouch is right. I don't find these to be snapshots at all. Can they be improved? Sure, and there have been many great tips. But that comment was just rude. And untrue in my opinion. Great that you can take all the critique and use it though. Best of luck on your business. :)

My favorite was in the road. No silly posing. I can feel the love even without seeing their faces. The pic is real.

Over the shoulder was my favorite, very original.

Ouch is right. I don't find these to be snapshots at all. Can they be improved? Sure, and there have been many great tips. But that comment was just rude. And untrue in my opinion. Great that you can take all the critique and use it though. Best of luck on your business. :)

Remember that Kerbouchard has been doing this for decades. He is renowned. His word is law.

Remember that Kerbouchard has been doing this for decades. He is renowned. His word is law.

This has already been addressed. I am very familiar with the location he shot at.

Based on the post, I assumed these were his best from the day. He later pointed out that they weren't his best from the day and were not processed. I apologized for the hasty judgement, he accepted that apology, and we are now waiting for the OP to present what he actually plans on showing the client.

Try to read the entire thread before commenting...It's amazing. It's almost like you get to see into the future. :wink:

Currently, you are about a week in the past.

Last edited:

This has already been addressed. I am very familiar with the location he shot at.

Based on the post, I assumed these were his best from the day. He later pointed out that they weren't his best from the day and were not processed. I apologized for the hasty judgement, he accepted that apology, and we are now waiting for the OP to present what he actually plans on showing the client.

Try to read the entire thread before commenting...It's amazing. It's almost like you get to see into the future. :wink:

Currently, you are about a week in the past.

BS man, your original post was out of line. While his shots aren't breathtaking they are good efforts. I don't recall you posting any that were superior to these and I do recall your "Best Of" wedding set. While I might not have the experience as a wedding photographer as you do I know good from bad. Giving advice is fine, anyone can do that. You have experience, sure, be helpful but saying your trash is better than his photos here is sooo wrong.

James, if you want a good laugh, Kerb's "Best of 2011" thread was pretty comical. If he's touting his throwaway images as better than your work, you'll be left scratching your head when you see his "best." Frankly, if I took photos that were on the low level of Kerb's "best," I would have deleted all the files to the recycle bin, and then reformatted my hard drive so that there was absolutely no trace of them ever existing. I then would have probably placed small explosives in my computer case and started from scratch JUST TO BE SURE.

I thought Kerb had changed his tune a bit. He came to terms with the fact that he's "not an artist" (his words, not mine). He had been pretty respectful on the forums for the most part, with the exception of attacking me unprovoked one day because he apparently had nothing more important on his agenda lined up.

However, in this thread he reared his hot air filled douchey head. I honestly feel like Trever1t's post prior to mine was giving him too much credit. Kerb has experience in the sense that he's actuated the shutter of his camera in a wedding environment, and ONLY actuated the shutter. It doesn't make him a wedding photographer. Far from it. But, there are some people that need help sleeping at night, and if he wants to believe he's a wedding photographer, well, let him believe. It's a lot less expensive than Ambien.

FWIW, I found your images to be pleasing. The State University photo seems to leave a bit to be desired, but they can't all be winners. Overall, nice set.

Most reactions

Back