Engagement Shoot - Client

I think the full-color shot looks better. In the one with the zoom effect created in post, I think the man's skin tone looks too green. Lightroom can help with that. Selective color is a gimmick that most photographers absolutely loathe..and yet...people who have no training whatsoever often really like it...it's kind of the way "popular taste" is often quite lowbrow...like, instead of Shakespeare's plays as "drama", the common person likes some trashy show like "The Real Housewives of New Jersey", or something like that. I'd say try and keep working on your craft. Work at it. You will get better.

I do have a question about selective colour and the business end of photography .. as you say, most photographers loathe it and a lot of untrained people love it..

I don't like to use it myself... BUT, if one is in business and the vast majority of that business are untrained people who WILL like it... is that used to boost sales?

It would seem, from a professional standpoint regarding any craft that your purpose is to provide what your client wants/likes.

It's just strange to me that the only people who like it are those that would pay the bills and yet those collecting the checks avoid it.

This being the case, why HAS selective colour become so hated?

"No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.". H.L.Mencken (famous quote)

"No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.". H.L.Mencken (famous quote)

:lmao: I doubt any response will trump that. Thanks Derrel. Hahaha

The posing here has a lot to be desired. They both have some funk kind of looks on their faces and neither is really smiling at the same time. The guy basically looks emotionless. And what up with that zoom pan? Do these people really look like the type that would be into that sort of effect?

I do have a question about selective colour and the business end of photography .. as you say, most photographers loathe it and a lot of untrained people love it..

I don't like to use it myself... BUT, if one is in business and the vast majority of that business are untrained people who WILL like it... is that used to boost sales?

It would seem, from a professional standpoint regarding any craft that your purpose is to provide what your client wants/likes.

It's just strange to me that the only people who like it are those that would pay the bills and yet those collecting the checks avoid it.

This being the case, why HAS selective colour become so hated?
In the end it really comes down to what your client wants. In my experience though, the only "clients" I have ever had who wanted this sort of editing were the customers I had while working at The Picture People, and more often than not it was the customers who brought in the $18 Pose Package coupon, which got you a free session [as were all sessions at The Picture People] and 5 prints of the same image FOR $18. To me, it's a cheap gimmick that makes a photo look bad in most cases.

Hi All,

So I had some rather harsh things said to me in Pm about my photos and that I should refund any and all money and sell my gear.

But Here is the Issue.

I have a Desire, Passion and Love for Wedding Photography. This is all I want to do in life and I feel this is where I am suppose to be and be doing.
Every Photographer has there own Style, and maybe you think my photos are bad but I personally do not think so. I was very careful in what I shot and if it was not good enough I deleted it.

So Sorry to have Upset the so called Professionals on the forum, But I am willing to train if someone know a place online thats free or at least cheap.

I have a wife, 3 kids and one on the way.

I need to turn this into a professional Career ASAP.

Maybe I am not the worlds best in photoshop or Lightroom, But at least I tried.

I am not a web designer nor a graphic artist so if anyone knows of someone that can help me with making a nice site that would also be helpful

Last edited:
Should something I love doing not be paying the bills, and leading to a better life

I don't think this is something that you're going to turn into a career ASAP. What's been said to you has been said to help you.. getting a reputation as low level would kill your career.

There are some very good photographers here.. some of them who shoot weddings professionally.

I think you should be more open to what you're being told and use that to become the kind of photographer that couples seek out for that incredibly important day.

Don't take offense to these things, use them to reach your goals.

Why Rexbotcat. WHY

When you get impatient...

...you skip corners, you become ignorant, you decide that you "know enough" without ever really wanting to get better, because getting better means devoting more time than you are willing to.

One does not simply become a recognized professional ASAP

Some New Photos For You To Pick On Me About..

Can't wait for the pms after these.

Corrected Color, Tint, Expo, etc.

$Karen and Dennis-11.jpg$Karen and Dennis-72.jpg$Karen and Dennis-66.jpg$Karen and Dennis-62.jpg$Karen and Dennis-59.jpg$Karen and Dennis-58.jpg$Karen and Dennis-57.jpg$Karen and Dennis-52.jpg$Karen and Dennis-12.jpg$Karen and Dennis-77.jpg

If you really want to get better and be a professional at this .. you need to come off the defense.. open yourself up to the idea that you have a lot to learn, it's going to take time and be aware that blunt C&C is for your benefit.

This is to help you my friend. Accept that help and make use of the resources available to you here.

Most reactions

Back