Enlargements

JonMikal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I want to print poster size (20 x 30)

I generally shoot in RAW format. WIll they print from that or do I need to convert to TIFF or JPG? Also, is there an online service thats good for this? I use kodak labs for most.

any help is greatly appreciated.

I think you will need to save to JPG.

But IMHO that Ok (I know other will disagree) because after edit your image to your liking there is no advantage saving in RAW. The only thing RAW dose is save all possible (maximal and minimal) setting at shooting. After editing a copy why do you need that any more.

Judging by my computer (and not phorography) experience, I would guess there might be potential compatibility issues with sending it to them in RAW. Don't different cameras save their RAW files differently? It would probably be best to save it as a TIFF, since that is generally lossless. Most labs definitely ought to be able to read TIFF files. PSD might work too.

I would save in TIFF. That's what I save all my images in and I've had no problem getting them printed. PSD is probably pretty industry standard as well though.

AlisonS said:
I would save in TIFF. That's what I save all my images in and I've had no problem getting them printed. PSD is probably pretty industry standard as well though.

what file size is required in TIFF format for poster size?

Hobbes guesses about 200MB or so, depends on the complexity of the photo you are having printed, if you have a CD burner you should be all set :D

I think 200 MB is a pretty big overstatement. If you shoot RAW with a D70, you should'nt have any problems with a 20x30 if you convert it to Tiff. I did the same w/ my *istD. My tiffs are about 17mb I believe

tr0gd0o0r said:
I think 200 MB is a pretty big overstatement. If you shoot RAW with a D70, you should'nt have any problems with a 20x30 if you convert it to Tiff. I did the same w/ my *istD. My tiffs are about 17mb I believe

Hmmm, well we enlarged a photo to check and that's what we got. My TIFF run about 17-18MB at much smaller than poster size. Of couse, it also depends on the individual image.

I think the file size needed depends on who is printing it. I have seen many different required sizes all over the place. Some places will do the interpolation work for you as long as you send them a file that meets thier minimum size. I always save my "for print" files in .TIFF after editing so there is not post edit compression artifacts or surprises. My .TIFF files have ranged from 15mb to 90mb and above depending on the size and complexity as Allison said.
Recompressing in .jpg should really only be done if absolutely necessary and even then use the least amount of compression possible. A friend of mine has had some very good results using www.ofoto.com for enlarged prints. I will probably be trying them soon also. Good luck with your project and don't forget to post a snapshot when you get it back! :wink:

what is the method you have to go about in order to enlarge the photos? do you just change the image size or is there something special I'd have to do... :?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back