Epic Fail Shoot...

Eventer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleclarke.co.nz
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Brought my camera along to my little brothers soccer game. on the drive there the weather started to get crappy. clouded over and started to spit. turns out its actually impossible to take a photo in this weather! well for me it is! look how bad they turned out. I tried heaps of settings - Flash on, Flash off, ISO setting (started at 400 then went to 800, but the result speaks for its self a bit.) I usually always shoot on aperture priorty but the shutter was going incredibly slow. so switched to shutter priority and got green blurrs! :lol: back to aperture priority and messed around with other things, but no success! just a epic failure!!
WHHHYYY!?! LOL i tried tweaking them on Photo Premium - but not much improvment, they are beyond that! haha

2nja3xk.jpg

30atjm0.jpg

16ibqz9.jpg

Last edited:
I recall one zoo/wildlife photographer on here saying that 1/400sec was what he set shutter priority to when he was walking around after a grabshot and wanted to ensure a blur free shot. Certainly I've tried shooting around the slower speeds and really the motion blur is just too easily caused.
If you can't get the speeds up ISO and flash (as well of course as using the widest aperture possible) are your only options. However with flash you get very fast fall off of light so the popup flash tends to become far less effective for sports and such at the 300mm and greater mark. Its then that you need a dedicated speedlite to push out enough light.

Sometimes we have to accept that the light is too poor for what we intend - its a sad but true fact. However noise is always preferable to motion blur - you can deal with noise (to some extent) in editing and printing/resizing for the net further reduces noise in a shot. Its not idea but its more ideal than blur.

Why do you post in the C&C section when you don't need any C&C and you already know that your photos are an epic failure? Just checkin'.

3rd shot is actually not bad, it's more of a classic football shot but I wish you had more area to the right so the guy in blue would be entirely within the frame. Liven up the colors, crop it right and make it sharper and the third shot could be pretty decent.

Because this isn't the C&C section (we don't have one! ;)) its the beginners section.
Also whilst the OP might already know the shots are poor, but they are after advice for getting better results in similar lighting should it occur again as well as for advice on their shooting at the time (ergo the details about how they shot)

Eventer, this is the most valuable learning tool you have, failure, how you use that from this point on will decide if it really was a failure or just another step in your growing experience.

Learn from your mistakes, its really only a mistake if you learn nothing from it.

As long as nobody got hurt, nothing got broken who gives a toss :p

I dont see them as a failure, I see them as a tool to learn from.

Your first shot can be recovered a little more.

Before:

2nja3xk.jpg

After:

6ugcyck4.jpg

When shooting sports you should be in shutter priority, not aperature priority. As stated above, the lowest shutter speed you could shoot a decent paced game at is 1/400th of a second. Letting the camera know that this is the speed you want allows you the freedom to focus on shooting the action rather than trying to find the correct F-stop or ISO setting.

When you were shooting in aperature priority mode you were letting the camera make the judgement on what would be the best speed to get a decently exposed image. I'm sure you're green blurs are 'decently' exposed but unregonizable because the shutter was set really slow.

For the time being try and remember that if you're shooting a moving subject shoot in shutter mode, if you're doing the directing of the subject you can shoot in aperature mode and get decent shots.

Yeah I thought it was cool to shoot everything in manual, now that I've figured out Av, Tv and A-Dep modes, I can't live w/o them.

I've never thought it was 'cool' to shoot in manual. I just assumed it was the best way to get the camera to capture what I wanted it to. And I still think that today. I have yet to shoot in the modes but I don't think I'm a better photographer for it. It's just the how I taught myself photography.

manual obviously gives you more control, in my case, I actually didn't need it in a lot of cases, what I did need was to focus more on what I was shooting. Tv/Av gave me just that. Not saying it's better to use or not to use them, I assume it's just best to know your equipment to it's full potential, so when you shoot you know if something can save you time and give you the result you want. So I didn't even know what why I'd use Tv/Av and such but then I figured out that they're handy at times, and now the shooting process is slightly simpler.

Thanks RobNZ the photoshopped version is alot better - I really need photoshop. my editing programme is pretty basic unfortunatly.
With using shutter priority I never know what shutter speed, and when I play around with it I just generally get it wrong - Ending up with Dark or blurred photos. and I've found in Aperture Prioirty the camera usually gets it right (apart from today) so 90% f the time i shoot in that mode.
And I know alot of the the time its my gear. being a 17 year old student IO cant really afford the flashest stuff out there (I plan in winning lotto soon though ;) ) As much as i'd like it.
Yep Overread, My pop up flash wasnt really reaching the subject at 300mm!! so it was like a lose/lose situation i was it! haha

Your highest ISO was 800? those are really noisy for such a low ISO.

That depends much on the camera, Misfitlimp.
My 350D shows loads of noise as of 800 ISO, while 1600 ISO is the highest I can go. Things may be ALL different with cameras that go up to 12800 ISO, of course!

Most reactions

Back