epic sunset, c&c

afoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I wrote my last exam this afternoon, woohoo! The whole time I was writing I kept looking out the window to see what the clouds were doing, and when I finished I ran like the wind to my car to make it to the beach in time for sunset. The colours were amazing...

c&c appreciated.
first off, which image do you prefer?

I like the first image because of the sky (obviously) and the green along the path in the middle.
I really wish the foreground were symmetrical, do you think the fact that its not takes away from the photo?
(250 second exposure, f/16, iso 200, lee big stopper and sigh-ray 0.9 reverse filter)

iona_december01 by abbye dahl, on Flickr

I think I might prefer the second image, though I keep flip flopping...
I really like how you can see the clouds swirling around the sky, and I think the reeds in the foreground balance it nicely.
Is the orange on the right side distracting?
(200 second exposure, f/16, iso 100, lee big stopper and sigh-ray 0.9 reverse filter, lee 0.3 soft grad)

iona_december02 by abbye dahl, on Flickr

Honestly, I see soooo many sunsets I get tired of sunsets altogether.

But...

Having said that, it makes me appreciate them more when I see one or two come along that are stunning.

If I had to pick, I would pick the second. I love the drama in the sky. It seems to be intimidating and reaching out to the viewer. In the first, it seems to be diminishing and retracting.

They are both great shots and I hate you for it. You always have great shots. I actually thought of your work last night when I was entertaining the idea of starting to do long exposure landscapes. I recall saying "how the hell does she do that anyway" lol, I'll learn eventually the technical side of it, I just hope I capture the artistic side as you do also.

Nice work.

I did have a quick question. A short answer is cool enough as I'll read up on things later. but when doing such things...how do you know how long to set exposure for? Do you just guess based on experience or is there a sort of "starting point"? I have always wondered how to expose for long exposures.

Excellent, indeed!
WOW-y, in fact.

As to preferences, it's a toss-up. But even though I usually love the colour green, I must say that out of these two I prefer the dramatic swirl in the clouds over the green on the road.

And Pallycow has asked a good question! I'd be curious to hear your answer, too!

Beautiful!!!! Spetacular shots.

I did have a quick question. A short answer is cool enough as I'll read up on things later. but when doing such things...how do you know how long to set exposure for? Do you just guess based on experience or is there a sort of "starting point"? I have always wondered how to expose for long exposures.

Speaking from not too much experience, got my Hoya ND400 aka black glass, last Thursday and I've found that it depends just how dark it is outside and a bit of trial and error. For example, yesterday it was cloudy and I played around with it mid day and found that 10-12 seconds was sufficient. It's a bit of trial error until you get the balance you want.

afoto, simply stunning images. I really like them both.

1. I would disagree about them not being symmetrical as the sun and water help fill the void I think you are referring to. I really love the grass growing on the gravel path. It adds a nice depth.

2. Is also fantastic, the reeds in the front give a very nice foreground and as in the first, the colours in the sky are simply amazing.

Thanks for sharing.

Hi Pallycow, a good question!

You can find charts that show you the approximate conversion time for a 10 stop filter, and that is usually a good place to start.

as for me, i've sort of got a system down:
for an hour-half an hour before sunset - f/18 iso 400, lee big stopper, most likely a grad filter over the sky with an exposure of approx 4.5 mintues
- then as the sun sinks lower, or if its a mostly cloudy day, f/16, iso 400, same filters as above, and a 7 minute exposure.

as you shoot you will find what works for you, it just takes time to get to know your equipment.
if your interested i've started a website and blog for my landscape work and chat a little bit about my equipment and process there. Abbye Dahl Photography - Not a Moment in Time, But the Passage of Time

and thank you everyone else for comments!

Why introduce all the diffraction and noise into the exposure with f/16 and iso 400 afoto?

I like them both, but I prefer the second. Your work is always stunning!

Hi Pallycow, a good question!

You can find charts that show you the approximate conversion time for a 10 stop filter, and that is usually a good place to start.

as for me, i've sort of got a system down:
for an hour-half an hour before sunset - f/18 iso 400, lee big stopper, most likely a grad filter over the sky with an exposure of approx 4.5 mintues
- then as the sun sinks lower, or if its a mostly cloudy day, f/16, iso 400, same filters as above, and a 7 minute exposure.

as you shoot you will find what works for you, it just takes time to get to know your equipment.
if your interested i've started a website and blog for my landscape work and chat a little bit about my equipment and process there. Abbye Dahl Photography - Not a Moment in Time, But the Passage of Time

and thank you everyone else for comments!

Thanks for the info. I figured there was some trial and error involved as with most things. A good starting point can help to limit the guesswork. I only have a 8 stop currently, I intend to get a nice 10 eventually as funds allow.

Thanks.

Why introduce all the diffraction and noise into the exposure with f/16 and iso 400 afoto?

i fair question, it depends on the day, i often start at iso 100, and f/20 a lot but i tend to get antsy when my exposures are over 7 mintues, so i'm more likely to expose properly and get a better shot when i keep my exposure times shorter :p also the camera i shoot on, d700 is fantastic at not having noise, i've tested and found the noise difference between 100 and 400 isn't big enough for me to lengthen my exposure to much.
i also find f/22 on my lens to be not so sharp.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back