epic sunset, c&c

Nice shots, colour is great.
I like the first ... though I would crop it square with central road.
Very good usage of filters ... thanks for adding in the technical details ... most photographers do not know much about what filters can be used for.

While I like them both immensely, the second is my favorite by a large margin. I don't know that I can explain that, as it's nothing "technical" about them, more just my own personal tendencies. The first one, I look at it and really appreciate and admire it; the second one makes my heart sing. :D

Quite stunning. I am dead jealous but....thanks to your detailed and very welcome explanation i am looking forward to our next beautiful sunset (might be a while here in not so sunny england at the moment) so i can give this a go.

Just a quick question on filters (as you appear to be so clued up on the subject) is there a downside to using 2 ND's together apart from the obvious downside of using an extra piece of glass, and would i be right in thinking that an ND4 and ND8 screwed together is the same as an ND12?

Quite stunning. I am dead jealous but....thanks to your detailed and very welcome explanation i am looking forward to our next beautiful sunset (might be a while here in not so sunny england at the moment) so i can give this a go.

Just a quick question on filters (as you appear to be so clued up on the subject) is there a downside to using 2 ND's together apart from the obvious downside of using an extra piece of glass, and would i be right in thinking that an ND4 and ND8 screwed together is the same as an ND12?

Hahahaha well here in rainy vancouver my sunny evenings are few and far between as well!

as for filters, i often have somewhere between 2 and 4 filters on my lens for each shot (including graduated nd filters for the sky). so yes having more glass gives you more potential for dust spots etc, but its worth it in the end :p and ND8 (3 stops) and and ND4 (2 stops) will give you 5 stops of light reduction. not as drastic as a 10 stop filter, but a great place to start

i fair question, it depends on the day, i often start at iso 100, and f/20 a lot but i tend to get antsy when my exposures are over 7 mintues, so i'm more likely to expose properly and get a better shot when i keep my exposure times shorter :p also the camera i shoot on, d700 is fantastic at not having noise, i've tested and found the noise difference between 100 and 400 isn't big enough for me to lengthen my exposure to much.
i also find f/22 on my lens to be not so sharp.

Diffraction starts on most lenses somewhere in the vicinity of f/5.6. Starting at f/20 is pretty extreme and I'd venture to say it's hurting your IQ.

i fair question, it depends on the day, i often start at iso 100, and f/20 a lot but i tend to get antsy when my exposures are over 7 mintues, so i'm more likely to expose properly and get a better shot when i keep my exposure times shorter :p also the camera i shoot on, d700 is fantastic at not having noise, i've tested and found the noise difference between 100 and 400 isn't big enough for me to lengthen my exposure to much.
i also find f/22 on my lens to be not so sharp.

Diffraction starts on most lenses somewhere in the vicinity of f/5.6. Starting at f/20 is pretty extreme and I'd venture to say it's hurting your IQ.

Can you point this out on her posted images? Not to be a jerk or tear up nice images, it's an honest question to learn from. I hear of diffraction often and I don't know what it "looks" like or what to look for, except in extreme cases where it is painfully obvious

Most reactions

New Topics

Back