Epson Artisan 1430 - Blue Hue to B&W Prints

HeldInTheMoment

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Title says it all really, when print B&W the image has a blue hue to it; though, on the Calibrated 100% sRBG 10-bit monitor, it's perfect. I am using Pro Grade Gloss Photo Paper.

Any ideas or how I can fix this?

Check the color space and the image file profile.
I also wonder if your editing application is set to manage color - or if the printer is.

I also wonder if your editing application is set to manage color - or if the printer is.

Hello again and thanks for the continued help!

I shoot sRGB, calibrate my monitor to sRGB, edit in sRGB, and use the printer to manage color (Lr did a horrible job, the printer is MUCH more accurate itself).

All the normal "colors" appear accurate, but the darks are faintly off and I can see a blue hue on all blacks.

Hello again and thanks for the continued help!

I shoot sRGB, calibrate my monitor to sRGB, edit in sRGB, and use the printer to manage color (Lr did a horrible job, the printer is MUCH more accurate itself).

All the normal "colors" appear accurate, but the darks are faintly off and I can see a blue hue on all blacks.

You can't calibrate a monitor to sRGB. What tool do you use to calibrate and profile the monitor?

Using the printer to manage color is going to give you poor results in most cases unless you're very, very lucky. Sounds like you're getting expected results. To print accurately you need to use a device dependent printer profile created for your printer/paper combination. In other words you need to do the same thing with the printer that you did with your monitor -- profile it.

If you can't create a profile yourself you'll find you can download a profile for the better printers from the better paper manufacturer's websites. Here for example is where you could download a Canson paper/printer profile: ICC Profiles & printer color calibration settings However I'm going to guess your printer model isn't supported.

To create a printer/paper profile yourself you would need one of these: Amazon.com : X-Rite ColorMunki Photo (CMUNPH) : Digital Camera Accessory Kits : Camera & Photo

Sorry if that's all bad news, but it's the right answer. Good luck.

Joe

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Editing experts recommend editing in the broadest color space you can edit in which in Photoshop/Camera Raw is the ProPhoto RGB color space (also known as ROMM RGB (Reference Output Medium Metric)).

Lightroom's Develop module doesn't give you a choice of editing color space and uses a version of ProPhoto RGB that has a gamma of 1.0 rather than the normal ProPhotoRGB gamma of 1.8.
Adobe calls it Lightroom RGB.
The 1.0 gamma Lightroom RGB workspace is able to match the 1.0 gamma of Raw camera files.

The sRGB color space gamut doesn't contain all the colors today's digital cameras are capable of capturing.

Since you use Lightroom and have gone full time with your photography business, I highly recommend you get and have handy as a reference Martin Evenings book.
The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC / Lightroom 6 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers

Martin Evening, Jeff Schewe, Bruce Fraser and the other guys that are Pixel Genius, LLC have long been consultants to Adobe regarding both Lightroom and Photoshop development.
Which is why I consistently recommend their books.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back