Epson Perfection V700 Scanner

speedbuggy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have an Epson Perfection V700 Scanner. I am looking for a slide carrier for the 127 "super slides". I know that the standard 35mm carrier will hold them, but it ends up cutting out quite a bit of the photo area if you use it on a 127 super slide.

Ant ideas where to buy or how to make a custom carrier for it?

Thanks,
Kris

It should be pretty easy to make a custom carrier--you just need something to lift them the right distance off the glass, a piece of stiff cardboard with 4x4cm square holes would suffice.

You may also be able to scan them by just placing them directly on the scanner and using the "transparency no-carrier" option.

You can also scan directly on the glass with the V700. No need to use the holders at all. I have some anti-newton ring glass from betterscanning.com that I use to hold the film flat for scanning. Reason being, I like to scan with the frame edges.

I agree with the suggestion of the Betterscanning holders but try them at the adjusted film holder height (ie the 'with film holder' setting, using the height adjusters) because of the focus issue, if you want the highest definition the scanner is capable of.

Just a note in case anyone was confused. Scanning directly on the glass with the V700 isn't some kind of workaround, it's designed to be able to do that and has settings in the scan software for scanning directly on the glass, so the focus is still sharp. It might be my imagination, but I think the scans are sharper on mine when I scan on the glass compared to the film holders.

Then you may or may not have the filmholder height adjusted properly. Focus on the main glass (in the holderless mode) is a bit hit-or-miss, varying from one scanner to another (focus is factory set in two fixed positions, it isn't variable). It's usually more difficult to get exact focus using the main glass, but it does vary a little from one scanner to another. With our V-700 I can certainly get sharper 4x5s using the Betterscanning holder at the correct height than I can scanning 8x10s on the glass using the holderless setting. Different lenses are used for the two modes - the better one being used for the film holder position. Some people have claimed that the optimum focus position for the holderless mode is 0.5 mm above the glass.

Last edited:
Then you may or may not have the filmholder height adjusted properly....

Is the film holder height even adjustable? Well, it doesn't matter anyway since I prefer to not use the film holders because it slightly crops the frames..

Yes, both the standard Epson film holder and the (far better) Betterscanning holder have adjustable heights so that you can hit the exact plane of focus of the high res lens. You need to do that to get the best resolution out of the scanner. If you use the Betterscanning holder (which is glass, used with the film under the glass) you can get pretty much all the film area if you dry mount, and all the frame if you wet mount using Mylar.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back