Epson V600 vs. V700 Scanner for prints only

marklbucla

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to scan my entire family's photo collection and have narrowed it down to the Epson V600 and the V700. I will only be scanning the 3x5 or 4x5 printed pictures. Is there a difference between the two scanners if I'm not going to be scanning slides or negatives at all? All the reviews I've seen are entirely focused on negatives and slides and are silent on differences related to prints only.

This is important enough that the difference in price won't stop me from getting the V700, but only if it will noticeably outperform the V600 with regard to prints.

For just prints the V600 is fine.

As a side note I don't like scanning negs/slides on my V700 anyway. Just not as good as a dedicated film scanner.

I have a decent flatbed scanner and I had several shoeboxes of 4x6 prints that I wanted to scan. I found the flatbed rather slow to do many prints at a time. I ended up getting a Plustek SmartPhoto P60 Photo Scanner 783064554268 B&H Photo which auto feeds the prints through it. The scan quality is OK for snapshot type photos which are typical of family photos and I was able to scan a bunch in a lot less time than I could have done with the flatbed. I did have a few alignment issues in the beginning, but figured a few things out to resolve it. Not a perfect device, but gets the job done.
This is a decent device for what it does and there might be better ones since I bought it. If you have other reasons or uses for a flatbed that would probably be the best way to go if you only wanted to have one scanner.

If you have no need of the option to scan negatives the V600 is probably overkill.

Do you want to enlarge them or just digitize them?

I may want to do so for some. I plan on scanning at 600 DPI just in case.

Pick out the hardest one and give just a regular all in one scanner/printer/copier/fax a try. If that suits you then your options are a lot more plentiful that expected.

And a lot cheaper.

Most reactions

Back