Equal Opportunity -- Same picture, two ways

elsapo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.teamwetdog.com
I've been getting up early and trying to shoot some street stuff in downtown D.C. I got home and processed through images, and realized I'd shot almost the exact same picture, but twice.

Basically, I was trying for movement and an early-morning feel. I think I need to try this in the evening, however, when I can get largely the same light but with more people around. There just aren't enough people on the streets at 5:30 a.m., but there are plenty at 6 p.m...

woman-w.jpg

...and...

man2-w.jpg

I really enjoy the light in both photos. The building in the first frame has nice shapes so I would stake out that location. Street shots take a lot of patience. I would stick to the early morning plan because of the lonely feel. Just keep shooting it or stage some buddies rolling through the frame on your command.

The distorted angles in the second bother me too much.
And the building in the first is a nicer one, so I prefer the first over the second. Also the traffic lights are more equally placed so that I would even wish for no one to be in that photo at all.

I prefer the first, mainly because the lines in the building. the second one, you over sharped the image, creating halos around the buildings.

Geronimo said:
I prefer the first, mainly because the lines in the building. the second one, you over sharped the image, creating halos around the buildings.

Good catch.

I think the thing I like best about these is the light - which, to me, says there's just not much there. If I could merge the two, and make the walker more dominant, I'd like it more. Get the building from one, the lighting from another, and so on... I'll keep working it, though it's tough getting up at 5 a.m. for this stuff.

I've been trying to shoot and expiriment with "street photography" lately -- something which, because I don't really understand it, I'm loosely defining as "spontaneous and specific moments of interaction on the street." I should probably spend some time today reading up...

Actually, these photos also fail the test because they're not really specific enough, and there's not a lot of interaction.

I've got some more stuff up on my site (www.TeamWetDog.com) and if anyone has a moment, drop by and comment on some pictures. The latests ones I've put up I think are a step beyond these two.

Thanks for everyone's comments...

Most reactions

Back