Equine/canine event photography - lens recommendations

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So there's a chance that I might get to do some indoor event/dressage photography for equines and canines. As such I'm doing a bit of research into what typical equipment people use for these events, specifically lenses.

At present I know (from limited previous experience and research) that the 70-200mm f2.8 lens I've got will likely do most of what I need on the day; even when I'm on crop sensor. Indeed for anything out-door its likely that it will be all I need to get the shots (although I'd be tempted to use my 120-300mm f2.8 for a bit more range; situation depending of course).

Indoors it seems that 200mm f2 and 100mm f2 lenses are also popular choices along with things like 85mm f1.4. Giving a bit more aperture to play with in those low light indoor conditions.

However I'm shooting on crop sensor so 70mm is actually quite long and I'd like something that would suit this genre of photography whilst also being good elsewhere. The only lens I've got that really fits into the sub-70mm range is the Tokina 35mm f2.8 macro, and whilst its a good all-rounder; its AF is somewhat slow and its focal length really quite wide; esp if you want frame filling of something big like a horse so perspective distortion is a consideration.

At present I'm thinking that a 24-70mm f2.8 might be the most practical of choices; either the original or the L edition (far as I can tell the original beats most 3rd party options - at least in its day - if sometimes only by a margin. The MII is clearly superior, but likely beyond any budget I can put together).

So has anyone any general input from their experiences and findings - or even just general viewpoints on sub 70mm lenses

The 24-105mm L was very fast at focussing for me, faster than other zooms I owned. While the length is probably good, f4 is probably not enough indoors.

A friend has sigmas newish 17-70mm f2.8-4 OS contemporary, albeit on a Nikon and swears by it, says it's fast to focus, but again your at f4 the long end

My girlfriend is a professional equestrian photographer. She just shot the WEG a few weeks ago. She mainly uses a 300 f/2.8 and oddly enough a 50/1.8
Wields 2 D700 cameras and a D300; often has one on remote right at the jumps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First of all, for indoor events like these, lighting is usually terrible. Think of something like a HS gym and a basketball game--it's like that. Lights are usually high in the ceiling, many are burned out so light is uneven in the venue. Be prepared to have to work on WB, deal with a lot of grain, and you'll need fast glass.

Second, you need to think of this as if you were shooting human sports. Fast moving, and if you shoot with an f2.8 or wider aperture you'll end up with a lot of shots that are out of focus. All of the canine photographers that I know of (they shoot mostly agility plus portraits) will do what a lot of good sports photographers do and pick good spots that give them a place to prefocus (b/c every team will hit that spot at some point in their run). So things like course maps (if this is going to be agility or rally or something like that) will be useful.

Definitely consider a tripod or monopod b/c you'll likely be using big glass and having to hold it for a long time. Also, knee pads or a folding chair. And unless it's in an arena or large enough stable to have their own bathrooms, you'll be using porto-o-johns. It's not that I'm squeamish about them, it's just...think about the logistics of having a lot of gear and then going in to one of those. You don't want to leave your stuff onsite. You put it in the trunk of your car and you give up your prime spot for taking pictures (which you can then lose to someone else).

24-70 should do for most indoors unless space is very within. If you are shooting any races, again unless you can get close, bring your longest lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe - some interesting and not expected points, your mention of kneepads is a very valid one (I've done that whole kneeling down with a big lens thing!) and your point on toilets is certainly not something I've have considered, but is very valid (shouldn't be much of a problem where I might end up shooting as its an all on-site setup, but certainly something to consider if I do any other events).

Vince - wider than 24mm? Even though I'm on crop sensor I'd be surprised if going any wider would be practical for equine shots (barring any landscape type shots). I'd have thought if I were close enough to really need less than 24mm, that I'd have some serious perspective distortion kicking in.

Hmm I thought you were shooting indoors or enclosed area? I probably got it wrong sorry :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem - you're correct that its an indoor event, but its not like I'm taking the shot of the horse in its stable; but rather an an indoor arena - so I hope there is a little distance between me an the horse

By chance do you have a second camera body you can use? That way you can have both lenses ready with no need to keep switching them. If not, maybe rent a second crop or FF body for the job.

Aye I do have a 400D, which whilst not outstanding by modern standards is still a good performer, what I lack now is a hefty lump of cash for a new lens ;) (long term plan that one).

And made it there and back again.

Indoor area, smaller than the ones shown above. I wound up taking both the 70-200mm and 120-300mm - however I shot almost the whole thing (bar 1 shot) on the 70-200mm. Bonus is that my arms don't ache after; although I think with a little repositioning I could have done it with the 120-300mm, but I'd have felt a bit challenged on some shots - 120mm is a bit too long for a whole event, a second lens to cover a bit closer would be ideal in my view.

ISO was up high, but not too bad in the good light at 1600 - I mostly sat at f4 for the day - I felt it gave enough depth of field most of the time; plus the small size and close nature of the event meant that there wasn't much room to really blow things out of focus in the background areas - and I didn't feel that going to f2.8 would be suitable (likely something I'll experiment more with as I get better at nailing the focus). That combined (f4, ISO 1600) gave me 1/640sec to work with, not super fast, but enough. I made the mistake early on of shooting AV mode, but shifted out into manual (unchanging fixed light and quite even over the whole of the arena).

Shooting wise I think the biggest lessons are:
1) Get used to portrait aspect a lot more! Because horse and rider are tall and unless they are side on to you chances are you'll only waste frame in landscape orientation.

2) Riders heads get lost behind horse necks - stand to the SIDE of a jump not in front (and try to guess where they'll look and get the right side of the horse - normally toward the next jump).

3) Getting down low works, but a lot of the time at a decent distance and with a big subject its not critical (it can also exacerbate the loss of heads behind necks)

4) Beginner mistake - always check bag pockets for spare memory cards when changing bags! Otherwise you run out of shots :p

The light was good at the event, any darker or a cloudy say and I think I'd be on ISO 3200 easily - even if I dropped to f2.8 it would still be dim light.

15264923318_050b8ed494_o.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back